First roast - Longer than 20 minutes

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
javarob99

First roast - Longer than 20 minutes

Post by javarob99 »

Hello everyone! I hope you are all enjoying your Saturday.

I just completed my first roast. I thought it was running long, but how would I know, lol. The cool down mode kicked (I assumed) because the fan was much higher. It gave me what may have been a warning, not sure. It said something like "Roast > 20 min, Roast profile ok?" - I didn't really know what to do. I was using the k-logic classic profile and selected 150 grams. I did weigh it on a scale. Is this a problem? What should I have done? I think I am going to take the boost off and just roast 100g and see what happens.

Thanks,

-Rob
javarob99

Re: First roast - Longer than 20 minutes

Post by javarob99 »

I may be having other issues, I am not sure. It seems like the beans aren't getting roasted very well. The bean coloration is very inconsistent. Much of the chaff seems to not be removed. My grinder actually got stuck on the beans. My guess is that they aren't getting fully roasted.

I finally put a batch on "Super Dark & 5.9" and that looks a little more like I would expect. The chaff is mostly gone, and they appear to be cooked through. They just appear over cooked (not a shock).

So my current plan is to keep roasting 100g at a time and work backwards from super dark and see how they look and taste.

I have tasted the beans. I grind them a little at a time as I am nervous about what they do to the grinder. It is not a good taste, but I am not sure how to describe it.

Anyway, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Rob
slinkymlinky

Post by slinkymlinky »

Not that helpful, but I am new too and had a similar experience when using for the first time. I had a thermal runaway and it stopped roasting mid batch and started cooling everything down. In my brief reading I have seen a few users commenting on fan settings and other tweaks to get the Boost working correctly. I have done the same and scaled down to 100g to see if I can get a decent roast.
discoaus

Post by discoaus »

I have never used the k-logic classic profile so I can’t comment on the time it takes. But the steady & dark ii profile is one of my slowest profiles, taking around 15 mins per batch. I usually use this profile for my Brazilian beans, or my darker roasts.

I would be starting at checking fan calibration. Have you gone through the steps of checking that your beans are getting a good roll? There is a link somewhere to see a video guide for calibration of your fan. It will be a good start, as if it isn’t adjusted to suit, then this could be why your profiles are running away and taking too long, and giving inconsistencies

As for inconsistencies in beans, this can be completely normal for some varietals. Not all beans are going to brown the same colour in each roast, you will have defects, and some is just the nature of the bean to have lighter, darker beans in the roasts

Try the calibration and see how you go. Maybe try another of the stock profiles like the 1200-1500 rest, as I never seem to have issues with these, and they take I believe around that 9-12 min mark if I remember correctly

I’d also like to add. Don’t start straight off with 150g batches. Just test 100g or 120g, just to work it out. You’ll end up wasting more beans with bigger batches if you don’t know what that profile is like or bean is like. You can roast less too, and it seems you have the boost kit so make sure to adjust the load size to the correct weight before roasting