Profile Overshoot Early in Roast

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
RossWB

Profile Overshoot Early in Roast

Post by RossWB »

I'm finding some beans tend to overshoot the profile curve early in the roast and I am wondering if it is possible to correct for this. Currently I am doing an Indonesian Blue Bianca with preheat set to 1200 and it still logs below the curve at the start but crosses the curve at about 29s and then overshoots, only getting back to the curve at about 2m 30s.

I am wondering how early in the roast I could introduce a corner and/or a negative Zone boost to reduce the heating faster and get the log tracking closer to the profile. My understanding is that the preheat overrides these adjustments during the early stages, in which case maybe there is nothing I can do to correct it. If I increase the preheat to try and keep the log above the profile it then also overshoots even further.

I have attached a copy of the log to illustrate this.
log0407 Ind Bl Bianca.pdf
Indonesian Blue Bianca rest profile
(260.12 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Profile Overshoot Early in Roast

Post by kaffelogic »

The pattern of overshoot that you are seeing is normal and an intended feature of many Kaffelogic profiles. They often work better that way.

However, if you are experiencing an adverse effect on flavour that you want to address by reducing the overshoot you can do that. In this case the corner you are trying to turn occurs during preheat. So the most effective settings to alter are preheat min and max times. These can be used to shorten the preheat period and allow the roaster control system to cut power earlier.

Remember to taste the results. Only use your modifications if they improve flavour.
RossWB

Re: Profile Overshoot Early in Roast

Post by RossWB »

Thanks for that, I’m getting good results, it’s just that some beans exhibit this characteristic whereas others follow the curve more closely in the early stages, I guess because they are less exothermic.
I’ll try varying the the preheat times out of interest, but if it doesn’t affect the taste I will probably just leave it as is.
Thanks for that, I think I have a better understanding of the preheat stage now.