Almost caught on fire, 3rd issue with this roaster.

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
ElevatedCoffeeClub

Almost caught on fire, 3rd issue with this roaster.

Post by ElevatedCoffeeClub »

Title states it all.
I've had this roaster repaired twice already with new motors. Finally got it back and went to do some roasting. Noticed the medium roasts turning out rather dark but thought nothing of it.

Got through maybe 4 roasts at 180g/140g. Go for the 5th roast and the beans aren't mixing, unit is smoking like crazy I had to turn it off. If I had walked away it likely would have went up in flames very quickly. Tried another roast and same thing. Im growing weary of this roaster as all I've had are issues, nothing has gone right from the begining.

Does anybody else have similar issues, do I have a lemon?

I'd love some feedback.
Thanks guys.
vmaiga

Re: Almost caught on fire, 3rd issue with this roaster.

Post by vmaiga »

Had the same issue, first time some thermoinsulation paper had moved, which I fixed according to instructions by kaffeelogic team myself, then the fan stopped working altogether. Showroom coffee did a great job turning it around quickly. However, upon receipt fan was calibrated to 1.10 and many beans ended up in the chaff collector. Then another thermal run away on second roast after fixing the moror assembly.
discoaus

Re: Almost caught on fire, 3rd issue with this roaster.

Post by discoaus »

Have you checked your fan calibration? Are the beans rolling correctly? KL admin have posted the link a few times in the community forum for this, and there is a video showing the rolling of the beans you’re aiming for.

Another side note, are beans stuck in the fans prior to roasting? Or have mtiple beans gone through the fan blade and become stuck? This can sometimes cause a fire also as they have already been roasted and are now getting cooked even more underneath the fan blades

I cannot remember where it is written, but I believe it’s in the manual stating that you should never walk away from your roaster in the case of a fire or anything as such. Usually if I walk away when I’m roasting multiple batches, I usually put my baby monitor on the counter looking directly into the chamber so I can monitor it from my living room in the case of a fire