is this normal - Chimmny mesh separating

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
BenN

is this normal - Chimmny mesh separating

Post by BenN »

Hi wonderful team in Kaffelogic

First of all the replacement roaster (No:1044 to No:1016) behaving quite well and give me a wonderful result.

It’s fun to experiment with profile curve as well as enjoy the fresh coffee.

I have attached the 2 photo of chimney mesh I have with replacement roaster I have received on about month ago.

As you can see the joint of over-wrapped mesh is separated and I see some fine wire(?) is sticking out ?

I remember old one as most clean finish.

It still function so I wasn’t bother until today but my jumper caught on the ticking bits today. So, I thought ask you how it could be fixed before talking screw out and see.

Close look bit uneven around the inner metal tube and chaff tend to accumulate on one side while roasting. I’m tapping a side little to settle to bottom when that happen.

Look forward to hear from you.
Attachments
IMG_20190727_103704 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20190727_103704 (Medium).jpg (154.05 KiB) Viewed 5413 times
IMG_20190727_103730 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20190727_103730 (Medium).jpg (137.25 KiB) Viewed 5413 times
Ben
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: is this normal - Chimmny mesh separating

Post by kaffelogic »

Hi Ben

Some wires will emerge like this in normal use and they can be trimmed with diagonal cutters or utility scissors. However, in your case we would like to look more closely at your chaff collector so we can verify some improvements we have made to the manufacturing process. I will contact you directly to arrange for us to swap you in a new one.
BenN

Post by BenN »

Ben
mgarry

Post by mgarry »

Ah! The mesh on mine looks just like this, which I discovered by catching it on my sleeve. Do you want a photo as well, or should I just go ahead and cut them back?
BenN

Post by BenN »

Got contact from John,
I look little more closer today and seems inner part is also separated a bit and stay bit in ward. Whole waiting I did like this ( see pic) . yes, it's a stapler needle.. :lol:

So at least chaff dos not accumulate like mountain at this narrow point.

I was with impression that this lose wire is mean to be held this cut end together ( inside and out side ) first but that maybe a not the case.

Wasn't much impressed the tone of second email got form but thanks for great support.
Happy to submit any more comment about product and any idea if/when I got..
Attachments
IMG_20190803_131911 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20190803_131911 (Custom).jpg (166.17 KiB) Viewed 5391 times
Ben
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

BenN wrote: Sat 03 Aug, 2019 1:29 pm I look little more closer today and seems inner part is also separated a bit and stay bit inward. Whole waiting I did like this ( see pic) . yes, it's a stapler needle..
Thank you for your feedback Ben. The idea of using a paperclip to keep the mesh closed is an excellent one and I am investigating using it in the next production run. I have sourced some black paperclips, but I need to verify that the black coating survives the temperature they are exposed to.
BenN wrote: Sat 03 Aug, 2019 1:29 pm I was with impression that this lose wire is mean to be held this cut end together ( inside and out side ) first but that maybe a not the case.
No the edges are not held together - the design depends on them remaining stiff and straight. So it is ok to trim off loose wires. If the edges do not remain stiff and straight then I think the paperclip is the best solution.

A replacement chaff collector should reach you any day. I would very much appreciate your comments on the replacement especially how it stands up to use.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

mgarry wrote: Sat 03 Aug, 2019 12:43 pm Ah! The mesh on mine looks just like this, which I discovered by catching it on my sleeve. Do you want a photo as well, or should I just go ahead and cut them back?
Just go ahead and cut them back. We trim any that emerge during manufacture, but some continue to emerge with use.
mgarry

Post by mgarry »

okey dokey
BenN

Post by BenN »

kaffelogic wrote: Tue 06 Aug, 2019 10:13 am
[snip]

Thank you for your feedback Ben. The idea of using a paperclip to keep the mesh closed is an excellent one and I am investigating using it in the next production run. I have sourced some black paperclips, but I need to verify that the black coating survives the temperature they are exposed to.
kaffelogic wrote: Tue 06 Aug, 2019 10:13 am [snip]
No the edges are not held together - the design depends on them remaining stiff and straight. So it is ok to trim off loose wires. If the edges do not remain stiff and straight then I think the paperclip is the best solution.
Clip made little more steadier on the structure. :) I may do it for same on replacement one, in case it getting loose with use. Although, loose one I have was like that from start.
kaffelogic wrote: Tue 06 Aug, 2019 10:13 am [snip]
A replacement chaff collector should reach you any day. I would very much appreciate your comments on the replacement especially how it stands up to use.
It just arrived today, absolutely better in terms of stability and shape. I'll send you back my stapled example. You will see how it loose compare to replacement you have sent.
Ben
BenN

Post by BenN »

I have done 2 batch today and collector works very good compare to previous one.
I recall, my first unit with higher serial number came just like this one opposed one you replace with lower seral number unit ( not a huge number apart in between by the way) .

It much more steady and chuff just falling down to bottom more evenly.
So thanks very much for taking care of your customers!

PS. I tried steady and dark roast as it seems to be popular along side of my regular top up roast. So I'll see how it taste like. It looks very good espresso roast and aroma is quite good, The fist time I roasted into second clack.
Ben