Beans hardly move and thermal runaway

DutchFink

Beans hardly move and thermal runaway

Post by DutchFink »

Hi everybody!

I'm new here. My name is Hans and I live in the Netherlands. Nice to meet you all!

I have the following problem: using the boost kit I noticed that often the beans hardly move (or not at all) in the beginning of the roast (I thought it was necessary that they should immediately get into gass/fluid flow?). Later they start moving a bit, but it results in uneven roasts (some beans are black :( ) I thought I could solve this by putting for example in 120 grams and then run the roast for 130 grams. The idea is that the fan than runs faster (mistake?) Sometimes this works, but sometimes I get 'thermal runaway' ...

Any advice about what I'm doing wrong or what I can improve is very welcome!

Grtz, Hans.
Geronimo

Re: Beans hardly move and thermal runaway

Post by Geronimo »

Hi Hans

Did you activate the boost kit?

Cheers
G
SeanBrews

Post by SeanBrews »

Hey Hans,

Did you upgrade to a new chaff collector the same time that you ordered your Boost kit, or did you get a KL unit that came with a glass chaff collector already?
DutchFink

Post by DutchFink »

Geronimo wrote: Thu 20 Apr, 2023 10:25 am Hi Hans

Cheers
G
Hi Geronimo,
I think so... upgraded the firmware and activated the boostkit as far as I know. When I roast, the last option I get is to enter the weight. Should I have done something more?

Grtz, Hans.
DutchFink

Post by DutchFink »

MrBrews wrote: Thu 20 Apr, 2023 2:14 pm Hey Hans,

Did you upgrade to a new chaff collector the same time that you ordered your Boost kit, or did you get a KL unit that came with a glass chaff collector already?
First had a KL without any of them, then I got the new collector (great thing!) end of last year and recently got the boost kit.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

DutchFink wrote: Fri 21 Apr, 2023 9:25 am
Geronimo wrote: Thu 20 Apr, 2023 10:25 am Hi Hans

Cheers
G
Hi Geronimo,
I think so... upgraded the firmware and activated the boostkit as far as I know. When I roast, the last option I get is to enter the weight. Should I have done something more?

Grtz, Hans.
Hi Hans

Yeah I thought you would have activated. I cant think of anything more. Maybe flick an email to support.

You can of course go into calibration mode and increase your fan speed (its like multiplication factor I believe, for example 0.96 in my case), which is in effect a global setting and effects all profiles. Have a look in the manual if not sure abut this, as there is an upper limit.

Cheers
G
DutchFink

Post by DutchFink »

Geronimo wrote: Fri 21 Apr, 2023 9:47 am
Hi Hans

Yeah I thought you would have activated. I cant think of anything more. Maybe flick an email to support.

You can of course go into calibration mode and increase your fan speed (its like multiplication factor I believe, for example 0.96 in my case), which is in effect a global setting and effects all profiles. Have a look in the manual if not sure abut this, as there is an upper limit.

Cheers
G
Hi Geronimo,

I already checked the calibration. Mine is at 1.05. Read an advise not to go any higher...

Thnx, Hans.
discoaus

Post by discoaus »

What profile are you using? Increasing to 130g batch when using 120g most likely won't do too much. What does your log look like? Is the temp following profile temp? Some bean varietals roast uneven and look like they are a bad batch, but this is the nature of some beans when roasted regardless of profile or roast level. What beans are you using? If you have a Brazil bean, id suggest trying these as these roast fairly evenly and you can notice if there is any discolouration or unevenness. Sometimes the profiles need adjusting because of the new boost and glass chaff chamber. You can transform the profile to increase the overall fan speed on profiles under the KL studio settings. The initial phase of roasting you won't see a massive roll of the beans though, so this is fairly normal
DutchFink

Post by DutchFink »

discoaus wrote: Sat 22 Apr, 2023 12:53 pm What profile are you using? Increasing to 130g batch when using 120g most likely won't do too much. What does your log look like? Is the temp following profile temp? Some bean varietals roast uneven and look like they are a bad batch, but this is the nature of some beans when roasted regardless of profile or roast level. What beans are you using? If you have a Brazil bean, id suggest trying these as these roast fairly evenly and you can notice if there is any discolouration or unevenness. Sometimes the profiles need adjusting because of the new boost and glass chaff chamber. You can transform the profile to increase the overall fan speed on profiles under the KL studio settings. The initial phase of roasting you won't see a massive roll of the beans though, so this is fairly normal
Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply! I do not have much experience with KL-Studio and log-files. Don't remember what beans I used :oops: Will pay more attention to the logfile (studying on KL-Studio) and will learn to 'read' it and experiment with adjusting profiles. You guys probably have a profile for each bean? Will pay attention to the things you mentioned!
Again, thanks a lot! Will probably be back with more questions ;)
Hans.
discoaus

Post by discoaus »

DutchFink wrote: Wed 26 Apr, 2023 2:54 am
discoaus wrote: Sat 22 Apr, 2023 12:53 pm What profile are you using? Increasing to 130g batch when using 120g most likely won't do too much. What does your log look like? Is the temp following profile temp? Some bean varietals roast uneven and look like they are a bad batch, but this is the nature of some beans when roasted regardless of profile or roast level. What beans are you using? If you have a Brazil bean, id suggest trying these as these roast fairly evenly and you can notice if there is any discolouration or unevenness. Sometimes the profiles need adjusting because of the new boost and glass chaff chamber. You can transform the profile to increase the overall fan speed on profiles under the KL studio settings. The initial phase of roasting you won't see a massive roll of the beans though, so this is fairly normal
Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply! I do not have much experience with KL-Studio and log-files. Don't remember what beans I used :oops: Will pay more attention to the logfile (studying on KL-Studio) and will learn to 'read' it and experiment with adjusting profiles. You guys probably have a profile for each bean? Will pay attention to the things you mentioned!
Again, thanks a lot! Will probably be back with more questions ;)
Hans.
Quite alright. No specific profile for each bean, but some profiles suit some beans better than others, depending on what you want out of the bean really. Keeping it documented definitely helps, as I purchase in 20kg lots with several different types of beans, I need to keep track on what I’ve tested and liked, rather than just producing bad batches in amongst of good ones, as I roast 1kg batches for my mother and her partner also