"Thermal Runaway" and uneven roasts

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Morgan

"Thermal Runaway" and uneven roasts

Post by Morgan »

Hi All

Looking for trouble shooting here:
I've new to roasting, but done lots of research.
Started with 4 roasts of beans that were given to me by a roaster - A Sidamo and Yirg of unknown quality, but I wasn't expecting much. Used Raost V4 profile
These came out relatively uneven, but I put it down to poor quality beans.

But my next 4 roasts have been even worse:
First two on a Colombian La Piramid washed, both came out uneven, but on the 2nd roast using the stock 1500-200 RTD I got a 'Thermal Runaway' error. Batch was 100g
Here's the log
log0009.klog
(66.87 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Log from first roast, Adaptive Raost, 80g
log0008.klog
(63.83 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Next 2 roasts on another bean (Colombian La Guamera, Natural)
Both uneven as well
log0010.klog
(63.77 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
log0011.klog
(83.36 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Is this an issue with the fan?
Does it need calibration?
Geronimo

Re: "Thermal Runaway" and uneven roasts

Post by Geronimo »

Hi

Yeah those curves aren't very pretty. I'd suggest emailing support if not in NZ (If in NZ then phone). Even the standard altitude profile is a bit messy at the start, but much better.

As a guide but (yours might be slightly different if you did a proper calibration as per the manual), my fan calibration is 0.95 for 100 gram roasts. I increase slightly for 110 gram roasts (0.97).

Your fan is set at 0.91 by the looks of it but maybe ok for your roaster? Are the beans moving sufficiently at the start?

Your roaster isn't new is it, as in you have been roasting for some time, and if this is the case is this something that has just started to occur? I can see you have clocked up over 49 motor hours of which 33 of those are with the heater (element).

Cheers
G
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

From a look at these logs it is apparent that this is an element fault. Please contact customer support for assistance.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

kaffelogic wrote: Tue 11 Apr, 2023 1:36 pm From a look at these logs it is apparent that this is an element fault. Please contact customer support for assistance.
Thanks, I've submitted a service query