"Fault detected mains freq error"

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
orthodoc

"Fault detected mains freq error"

Post by orthodoc »

My KL appears to have died yesterday after about 40 roasts, with the error message "Fault detected mains freq error".

I sent in a help request late yesterday (from U.S. PST) and have become so dependent upon the KL that I am already going through withdrawal. Is this something that will require replacement? Anything I can do to troubleshoot while I am waiting to hear back? I have tested the outlet and other appliances work in it, so I think the issue is with the KL.

Thanks
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: "Fault detected mains freq error"

Post by kaffelogic »

Mains freq error can be caused by electrical noise caused by a motor fault. Customer support will be able to guide you through further diagnosis and assist if there are any adjustments you can make, or follow up if there is a fault covered by warranty.
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

Thanks. I will follow their instructions. It's only a few months old, so I assume it is all under warranty given that I have a modern home/electrical system and have not dropped it or anything..... Certainly no other appliances from small to large (cooking, home theater, space heaters, juice box charger, etc...) have ever failed.
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

I don't want to void whatever warranty I have but someone else who had this same fault message was told to open up their KL to diagnose and they identified a loose wire. While I am awaiting a response from support, am I permitted to do open it to take a look?
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

Would it be possible to get an estimate of the timeline for a response from support re my non functional KL? The silence besides the auto reply emails is concerning when I have this expensive device that I came to really appreciate and now it is dead in the water after several months of use. Thanks
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

Would it be possible to get an estimate of the timeline for a response from support re my non functional KL? The silence besides the auto reply emails is concerning when I have this expensive device that I came to really appreciate and now it is dead in the water after several months of use. Thanks
Sceptic

Post by Sceptic »

Don't be scared to open up the nano 7 to check things. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act would allow you to do so without automatically voiding your warranty even if these guys weren't supportive of it (basically according to the warranty act you'd only void your warranty for any damage you cause opening it up).

They seem to be designed to be easy to open up and repair, so feel free to open it up and have a careful look.

Oh, and at a guess, the silence from support might be related to them finally starting to ship some crowd funded boost kits and new chaff collectors - they've probably had a lot of support inquiries from impatient people about that.
imafryingpan

Post by imafryingpan »

Out of curiosity Orthodoc, what did they have you do to fix this? I just got my unit and it threw this error 2m into my first roast and will now throw it on any other roast I try.
ElevatedCoffeeClub

Post by ElevatedCoffeeClub »

Awaiting response as this is my second unit with this issue. Not able to roast again, I reached out to steve who helped me with the first unit.
Ron in Van

Post by Ron in Van »

Hi all,
I have had my unit since Feb last year. I have the boost kit installed. All was well for my first +-130 roasts. Today I got the "mains freq error" on a 200gm batch of Ethiopia using a modified Firestarter profile I have been using for a couple of dozen roasts already.

I logged a support ticket but it says they are on holiday until Jan 8.

I did a memory reset and complete reset from the options in Kaffe Studio. No luck. I am hoping someone has a suggestion that will help without having to wait for their response. I assume that will come from Eight Ounce Coffee in Calgary as they are their Canadian representative and repair depot.

I would prefer to fix it myself, if that is feasible.

Happy New Year to All
Ron in Van