Science!? fresh roast and when to seal?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Bean there

Science!? fresh roast and when to seal?

Post by Bean there »

Is it better to store the just roasted beans in an Airscape container right away (just as soon as they have cooled), or to let the them rest in an open container for 12 (24?) hours before sealing in an Airscape?

I’ll be resting them in the Airscape for a week or so, but it’s the first number of hours after roasting I curious about: to seal right away, or to let the beans breathe for a bit?
Bean there

Re: Science!? fresh roast and when to seal?

Post by Bean there »

For now, until I know better ;) , I’m putting the fresh roast in a recycled coffee bean bag (one with an intact one-way valve); once the beans have rested I’ll transfer them to an Airscape.
My assumption is that we want don’t want to trap the fresh gasses in a completely airtight container for the first 2 or 3 days, so need a one-way valve, or at least a less tightly sealed container.
Am I wrong? Is there any reason not to seal beans in an Airscape right away? (I’m less worried about a lid blowing off from excess gas, and more worried about flavour impact.)
Justine

Post by Justine »

Hi, I've just looked at the Airscape design. It's got a one way valve, so isn't it just a fancier coffee bag? Hence what's the difference between you using it straight away, where the expelled gases will leave through the valve the same as for the bag? And more convenient for you.

I put my beans straight into an automatic vacuum canister which draws the air out as it's created and I haven't noticed an affected flavour.

Cheers, Justine
Bean there

Post by Bean there »

Hi, The Planetary "Airscape" has an airtight seal, but no valve. It doesn't let air in or out, unless you extract the lid.
The container you are using & describe sounds very much like my Airscapes... pushes all the air out as you close the lid, & seals it tight.
Good to hear you found no negative effect on flavor, when you seal it right after roasting. I have been wondering about this... & does the lid lift up a bit with the initial hit of C02 gas being emitted?
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

15.2 gram doses
15.2 gram doses
IMG_3506 2.jpg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 2631 times
Hi

I just use a zip lock bags and store 450 grams (blend) in there till ready to use in about 7 to 10 days time. No issues with a build up of gas (yet). Not environmentally friendly though. Or if you want to preweigh single doses you can use the very small zip lock bags for lollies. About $2.50 for 100 and can reuse a few times.

15.2 gram doses.

Cheers
G
Last edited by Geronimo on Thu 06 Apr, 2023 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dtl717

Post by dtl717 »

IIRC, Airscape recommends the following with fresh roasted beans: Push the plunger lid as far down as possible into the canister onto the top of the beans in order to remove any air. Leave the plunger handle flipped up to allow any venting to occur. After one day, flip the plunger handle down to seal.
Bean there

Post by Bean there »

Good tip! 🙏