Appliance fault error message

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
JoJo

Appliance fault error message

Post by JoJo »

For the last couple of days, whenever I try to access info on KL Studio, I have had freezes, sudden crashes, and other error messages, including "appliance fault", "fault detected unexpected exception", "KL quit unexpectedly"...
Today, I downloaded fresh KL profiles, also reinstalled Studio software. No improvement.
Roaster says "Fault detected. Bad profile", with each & every profile selection; it can’t proceed with any roast. Studio software says “Appliance Fault”.

Something is amiss, but what? And how does one get things back on track, so the roaster can roast again?

(KlogicStudio software 6.0.7 & iMac OS 10.15.7; North American Nano)
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Appliance fault error message

Post by kaffelogic »

Please contact [email protected]. Most likely a reset will resolve this. The support team will guide you and diagnose if anything else is needed.
JoJo

Post by JoJo »

Thanks, and I had contacted support but haven’t yet heard back. (I suspect support is quite busy right now.)
The latest error message indicates I might need to “reformat on-board memory”, and that seems a logical solution, but how to do it? Some sort of reset should solve things (fingers crossed :D ). I’ll sit tight & await their reply & advice.
JoJo

Post by JoJo »

Update: Thanks to Steve & Sean at KL, my roaster is back up & running again! ☺️ (Required “rescue mode” to correct the glitches.)
ElevatedCoffeeClub

Post by ElevatedCoffeeClub »

I too have an error message pop up. During the beginning of roasting, In the middle, at the end.

I updated the software and downloaded new app on Mac.
Can't even open the software now it just gives an error right away when connected.

I've reached out to tech support and attempted to send logs, but am not sure of the correct log to even send. There's no dates. Im assuming newest log is with the highest number?

What exactly did you have to do to fix it?

Also, offtopic, but is there a way to view the roast live on the app when the roaster is connected to the computer?

Thanks in advance for your help
JoJo

Post by JoJo »

ElevatedCoffeeClub,
My error messages would not allow me to roast at all, not in any profile. So, your glitch may or may not be the same as mine.🤷‍♀️ However, here’s what I did:
Initially, I tried deleting the roasting logs, the app & reinstalling everything. That didn’t resolve the issue.
Then, I did a *reset*: hold the play button on the roaster while you are turning on the roaster.
A reset may fix your error messages. Easy peasy.🤞

Reset didn’t fix my glitches.
In my case, KL support guided me to first try “reformatting on board memory”, and then tried “rescue mode”.
You have to go into “engineer mode” on the app, & then into “rescue mode”. (You may want their expert guidance to help you with all this, but I did save the steps if you feel ok about doing it solo, “at your own risk”. Let me know, and I’ll copy them for you.)

Your second query: It’s my understanding that the app is there to record your roasts, and then allow you to make changes in your roast profile… to modify the profile for the next time you want to use this specific roast. The app also allows you to design a roast, & to import roast profiles from others. But it isn’t designed to interact with the roast while you are roasting. You can do some manual modifications using the buttons on the roaster during a roast, but no live app interaction.

p.s. Roast logs are numbered, not dated, unless your roaster is connected during the roast session. The roaster can use your computer’s clock & date when it’s connected during roasting; but the roaster doesn’t have its own independent/built-in clock. So, yes, the highest log number is your most recent roast.
ElevatedCoffeeClub

Thankyou so much for the detailed reply. I've been waiting about 5 days for a response back but haven't heard anything yet. I tried the reset today and was able to roast 3 100g batches on v3. 1 before faulting out again. Seems as there is some issue as the fan isn't sounding as strong as it has with previous roasts so maybe I need a reformat. I'd love to see those steps, however I don't want to void my warranty. I'm going to have to be patient.
I just really don't want to buy coffee I'm almost out :lol:
JoJo

Post by JoJo »

What did your error message(s) say? Anything error message that related to the fan?
(& Have you updated the Firmware?)
Since you were able to roast, it does sound like it might be a different issue to mine… mine wouldn’t let me roast on any of the KL profiles or do anything at all.

I had to reformat the on-board memory, but the roaster & app wouldn’t let me do that. So that meant I had to go deeper & do an additional step first = “rescue mode”.

To access “rescue mode”:
Press & hold buttons 3,4 &5 while switching on the roaster.
Connect cable to computer.

That “rescue” then allowed me to proceed & address the on-board memory issue:
To access “reformat on-board memory”:
Turn on roaster, go into KL Studio, go to Options, go to Difficulty, got to Engineer Mode, then Tools, then Connection Tools, then select “reformat the on-board memory”.

(I think I may also have then quit & restarted the Studio software before proceeding with a roast.)
These corrective steps should be safe enough as far as the roaster is concerned… but as you say, it’s wiser to get advice from KL directly. Hope you get it resolved soon! :)
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

ElevatedCoffeeClub wrote: Wed 01 Mar, 2023 2:51 pm Thankyou so much for the detailed reply. I've been waiting about 5 days for a response back but haven't heard anything yet. I tried the reset today and was able to roast 3 100g batches on v3. 1 before faulting out again. Seems as there is some issue as the fan isn't sounding as strong as it has with previous roasts so maybe I need a reformat. I'd love to see those steps, however I don't want to void my warranty. I'm going to have to be patient.
I just really don't want to buy coffee I'm almost out :lol:
Hi

Are you not in New Zealand. If this is the case, do you want me to phone and ask support to look into this as 5 days is not acceptable to wait. Something has gone wrong in the communication trail I’m thinking.

Cheers
G
ElevatedCoffeeClub

Hey,
No I'm in Canada. I sent another email following up yesterday. I'm waiting on a response.

I'll just wait and see what they say.