Internal storage

Have you discovered a good way to do something with your Kaffelogic? Share it here.
RupertPupkin

Internal storage

Post by RupertPupkin »

I have the cable version. How large is the internal memory?
How many logs can it store?
Do I get a warning when I'm approaching the storage limit?
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Internal storage

Post by kaffelogic »

• Internal memory is 14 MB. Most of this is available for logs.
  • A typical log is approx 100 KB, so that means there is room for approx 140 logs.
  • When the memory is 80% filled the roaster starts automatically deleting the oldest log to make room for the newest.
  • Kaffelogic Studio will provide a warning at 75% to give you the opportunity to make copies of any historical logs that you want to keep. At that time, copy or move the wanted logs from the sync folder to a different folder.
RupertPupkin

Post by RupertPupkin »

Thanks!
What is happening when I connect my KL to two computers?
I have Studio installed on two computers, both pointing to same sync folder. If the roaster is connected to the first computer and then moved to the other, the syncing takes about 4 minutes!
Why? Feels like it is copying all internal files to the sync folder, even if it is identical.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

When you connect a computer to a roaster, a sync folder is created on the computer. At first connection the sync folder is populated by pulling everything off the roaster. This first synchronisation can take several minutes if there are a significant number of logs on the roaster. The serial protocol used is comparatively slow.

After that, if a new file appears on the roaster (e.g. a log) it is pulled across to the computer. If a new file appears on the computer in the sync folder (e.g. a custom profile) it is pushed across to the roaster. Additionally, files deleted from the computer sync folder are deleted from the roaster. In this way the sync folder is kept in sync with the roaster.

If you work on the computer while it is not connected to the roaster, when you connect all of the changes made since you were last connected are transferred to the roaster and any new logs are transferred to the computer.

Connecting a second computer follows the same rules. The initial sync could take a long time, but after that synching should not take very long provided there are not a lot of new logs to transfer. It all depends on how often you connect the second computer.

With two computers on the go the situation can get a little complicated, but the roaster should cope. If you are constantly getting lengthy sync times of several minutes then something is going wrong and we will need to investigate.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

A further note on using two computers with one roaster, if the computers are on a network and they can both access a shared drive, then you can point Kaffelogic Studio at that shared drive with Options > General options > Location of roaster sync folders. If you do this for every computer on the network then they will all share the same sync folder. This will make synching as fast as possible when you connect your roaster to a computer on the network.
RupertPupkin

Post by RupertPupkin »

Yes, this was almost my setup.
I was using two computers connected to same network, but the sync folder was a Google Drive folder.
I will do some more tests.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Let me know how it goes. Google drive sync might modify for dates in a way that throws the Kaffelogic Studio system out.
RupertPupkin

Post by RupertPupkin »

Tested again:
no roasting, just turn KL off and move usb cable to the other computer and turn KL on.
Sync takes 4m16s.

Turn KL off and switch back to first computer: sync takes 4:16.

Both computers had KL Studio open. Both pointing to the same Google Drive folder.

About 35 logs and 43 profiles.

Will test with a sync folder on the local network as well.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Thanks for this info. It looks like the Google Drive folder file modify times are misleading Kaffelogic Studio into resending every file when reconnecting. I have raised a software development ticket to get this fixed and will post back to this thread when it is done. (We are also developing a progress indicator for those long syncs to make them more tolerable when they are unavoidable.)