Chocbomb

The 12 core profiles (plus additional profiles customised for specific microlots as they become available)
feralflyfisher

Chocbomb

Post by feralflyfisher »

Hi gang, complete newbie here, I bought my KL to impress my girlfriend with my coffee prowess. I've been using KL roast profiles to roast beans using the height for which profile I use.
I purchased some blended beans from the 'coffee commune' with this sticker on the pack... https://shop.coffeecommune.com.au/produ ... -blend-1kg Can you point me at a profile to make a half good roast from these beans... (I am learning but it's a slow process for this old truck driver :D ) Cheers in advance, David
feralflyfisher

Re: Chocbomb

Post by feralflyfisher »

Thank you for your input.
Squirt

Post by Squirt »

Sorry no one answered. I'm a new roaster myself and had hoped someone with great knowledge would chime in with a suggestion. I've had better luck getting responses on the Facebook forum, so perhaps worth a try there? Good luck and I hope someone helps you out.
Sceptic

Post by Sceptic »

I'd give the droast profile a try. I've been roasting my Indonesia Mandheling beans with that to roast level 3.2 or 3.3 and had good success, and that's a quite chocolatey bean. I also usually use the Kaffelogic Classic profile at roast level 3.3 for India Mysore beans, so it's not necessarily a terrible option. But you may want to try the altitude roasts with your blend to see which one works better for your tastes (I'd probably start at 1200-1500m and 1500-2000m, given the typical altitudes in the countries on your list). Good luck.
fnq

Post by fnq »

hi feralflyfisher

I don't get on here that often - so missed your post.

If you want set and forget ... probably a 1500-2000m REST profile ( if you have 7 -9 days to wait) or The same profile in RTD ( can drink well in as little as a day - but can be a bit muted compared with the big choc bombs

The blend you selected aimed you to a fairly dark roast- (2nd crack is possibly a bit too far IMO- )

but you would need profile and roast levels to get you up in the mid 4 levels ( different roast profiles achieve different levels of darkness ....so this is only a guide depending on your variables)

So something like a 1500-2000 REST at level4.4

If you can upload other profiles ( find the Kaffelogic roaster companion to aid you.... on the main website under Manuals)
I recommend MD3 which is designed for darker roasts ( level 4.4-4.7 work well for me)

The Droast is also good , but I don't have enough power to run it and get warnings

As the bean sight you linked to is Australian, i could also point you towards another coffee bean source ( I won't link but if you google 'bean bay' you will find your way around..... The only reason I do this is ... as a beginning roaster it is much easier to fine tune for a single bean and there are a couple of easy to roast beans on that site that are good choc bombs.

If available
An Indian Elephant Hills bean isn't totally chocolate but is a great bean to start roasting with and is slightly sweet and chocolately and is a great bean to blend with

The Peru (something) is an absolute choccy bomb - I have had good success on 2000-2700M REST at 4.4-4.6 levels and wait at least 5 days - this drinks great on its own

Good luck
feralflyfisher

Post by feralflyfisher »

Cheers, thanks for the input guys. I did try "firestarter" profile with a L4.0 Med-Dark for a "HoHum" result. Will def try the D-Roast profile and MD3 if I can find it...(found it... :D )