Roasting profile tips for coffee beans from India

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
Krish

Roasting profile tips for coffee beans from India

Post by Krish »

Hello and warm greetings from India,

I just got my Nano 7 last week and I look forward to burrowing down the rabbit hole that is home roasting.

Here is a small stash of green beans that I got myself, to play around with and learn.

- Tat Twam Asi Estate.Organic.Washed .1400 mtrs amsl. A+ grade.
- Ratnagiri Estate. Anaerobic. Washed. 1450 mtrs amsl. Specialty grade (micro lot, I think).
- Barbaara Estate. Washed. 1600 mtrs amsl. AA grade.
- Kalyan Cool Estate (Fraction 9). Washed. 1100 mtrs amsl. AA grade.
- Finca La Secreta ( Columbai). Washed. 2050 mtrs amsl. Supremo grade.
- A small lot of money parchment and Civet beans from the Araku valley. 1000 mtrs amsl. This is gift from a friend who exclusively roasts coffee from this part of India. I'm not really into either. This if you please, is more in the interest of science. ;)

In terms of brewing methods, I'm a bit old school. I only drink espressos and espresso based milk beverages. I like my washed coffees to have a distinct note of roasted caramalised hazelnuts/ almonds with balanced acidity.

So, two questions really. I believe that there are other Nano 7 users from India, it would be nice to hook up via this forum and exchange notes. If you are here, could you DM me please?

And even otherwise, I'd love to learn from all of you in terms of how I could get the best out of these beans. I'd really appreciate all the advice that I could get.

I'm happy to be here and look forward to your inputs.

Cheers,
Krishnan
Newlog

Re: Roasting profile tips for coffee beans from India

Post by Newlog »

Any results?
Krish

Post by Krish »

Newlog wrote: Sat 13 Jan, 2024 10:16 amAny results?
Hi, I did not understand. What results are you asking about?

Cheers,
Newlog

Post by Newlog »

Hallo,
I am also a newbe and wanted to ask you, wheteher you are lucky with any profiles or advices to your roasting. I still miss a a compendium how to begin and how to develop profiles. It seems, almost all strategies are working well. Anyway, the best is, one cannot waste much coffee.Have a nice day!
Erhard
Krish

Post by Krish »

Oh hello Erhard,

I'm happy to help you in whatever way I can. Are you part of the KL groups on Discord and Facebook? The Discord channel is pretty lively. You may want to check it out.

Before I can recommend profiles, a few questions.

- What is you preferred beverage?
- What taste profile are you after?
- What kind of beans do you have access to? Tell me about about origin (geography/country) and process (washed, naturals, anaerobic etc)

Once I have this info, I will give you more input.

Cheers,
K
Newlog

Post by Newlog »

Dear Krish,
thank you for answering. I am busy to join on facebook group,it is in progress until now.
I formerly have roasted on a 1kg drum gas roaster. I just now want to roast Indian beans
(washed, dense, score 84). Still busy tryiing common profiles and levels.
Want to develop better rated beans, so ,that my friends could comment and not only drink.
We prefer tasty middle brown beans, served as Americano, in former times with milk.
How do you manage smoke getting out?

Best wishes !
Erhard
Krish

Post by Krish »

Hello Erhard,

What smoke? You should not be getting any with the KL. Try roasting under a chimney. In terms of a profile may I recommend D-Roast? This is available here on the forum. It's my go-to profile. Also try KL Washed ( a new profile developed by the good folk at KL, if it's not available here, try writing to the KL help desk.

Tell me more about these beans. Are they from Chickmangalore, Karnataka State?

Cheers,
K
Newlog

Post by Newlog »

High Krish,
it is smell only, not smoke, of course, but not so important. I roast in my cellar, and window open is cold now.
Did not use D-Roast until now.
My Indian beans are from Kerala and do well with KL profile 0-1000m RTD. Will try the others also. Could not log into Discord channel.
The KL works well. It is great fun to roast with the KL
How many grams do you roast normally? Are there different results?

Greetings ,
Erhard from Styria
Krish

Post by Krish »

Newlog wrote: Tue 16 Jan, 2024 10:26 am High Krish,
it is smell only, not smoke, of course, but not so important. I roast in my cellar, and window open is cold now.
Did not use D-Roast until now.
My Indian beans are from Kerala and do well with KL profile 0-1000m RTD. Will try the others also. Could not log into Discord channel.
The KL works well. It is great fun to roast with the KL
How many grams do you roast normally? Are there different results?

Greetings ,
Erhard from Styria
Guten Morgen Erhard,

For better or for worse, the roasting process releases Aroma, which fortunately is something that everyone in my household likes. 🙂

Do try D-Roast. I'd also ask you to look at the Firestarter and Ninja Turtle roast profiles along with KL Washed ( you may need to write and ask for it). Different profiles and different level settings will allow you to get a sense of all the possibilities. Use that as a starting point.

In terms of how much to roast at a time, well, if you have the version with the older chaff collector then 80 grams to 100 grams. Do not exceed 100 as that does not make for an even roast.

If you have the new BOOST kit and chaff collector, you can go upto 150 grams at a time.

Cheers,
K

P.S - I love Vienna.
vibhorkwatra

Post by vibhorkwatra »

Hey Krissh

Im also from India and I also noticed you like the vienna roast.
Possible to share the profile?

Im just starting my KL journey