Blacked roast chamber, Do I need to clean?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
BenN

Blacked roast chamber, Do I need to clean?

Post by BenN »

Hi Support team

After just under 600 roast on this unit and it developed rather lithe thick black area in the chamber.
Touch through the area and some spot has bit of rough texture. Especially around the temp-prove. ( no concern at all for that rod sticking out to holding rove but chamber wall )
Roast Chamber
Roast Chamber
IMG_20220914_090824.jpg (708.93 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Roast Chamber
Roast Chamber
IMG_20220914_092542_1.jpg (575.73 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
I wasn't too much brother by this until now but same roast develop just ever slightly bitterness in the taste direction.

Do I need to clean it and how? I do not think soft cloth does anything to it and using agent like simple green with out disassembling is may not be good idea..

I'm confident to take it apart but the temp-prove can be take oof easily form chamber?

Thanks
Ben
Femelle

Re: Blacked roast chamber, Do I need to clean?

Post by Femelle »

I’m interested in the answer to this too. My unit is slowly but surely developing an increasing dark spot on the bottom of the roasting chamber. I’ve done around 150 roasts.
Justine

Post by Justine »

The team generally recommend leaving the discolouring alone, and for us to view it as seasoning.

A quick search on past forums shows their replies.

Here's one
https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... ning#p1867

Justine
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi Benn

I hope you are well.

With regards to the cleaning of the chamber. Please try using a small nylon ( hard) bristle brush.

Please take special care around the probe. Brush as much of the residue off the chamber with the nylon brush and then use a microfibre cloth to wipe out the residue settled at the bottom.

Please do not use any liquids at all in the chamber.

I hope this helps.

Wayne
BenN

Post by BenN »

Thanks Wayne
Ben
BenN

Post by BenN »

Update

I found it need a lot's of effort of it become like mine with large area of black carbon deposit baked on.
Could not find suitable hard nylon brush except one of those tooth brush.
Electric one works better as it is small and if careful but without any compound I is not quite effective either.
I found green scaler cut in very small piece and stick to chop stink was little more effective.
However, it may bit scary deepens on how you move around it in the chamber.

I did take most of large area but not all from on upper 2/3 , but where hot air is coming out is much difficult so I left as is. See how it affect to taste. I did this because that I found my roast become little bitter side and find more of the tipped beans among the roasted batch.

I'm not suggesting to do this but since I did it just posting my findings.
Ben
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi Benn

Thank you so much for the update.

Amazing information.