Nordic Light

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
nrdlnd

Re: Nordic Light

Post by nrdlnd »

Summorize of the "NordicLight" family of profiles

It consists of two main variants. The first is the original "1-series". It was developed with smaller Grade 2 heirloom washed Ethiopian beans from very high altitudes. These beans has a high density and can take a high heat in the beginning to get a good start. The KL is a fluid bed roaster and the beans move by the air stream from the fan. These small beans don't need a high fan speed in the beginning to get a good movement. The last modification with "zones" of the profile is the profile NordicLight1B2.kpro above.

The second series I think started with NL4. There were a problem to get a good movement of bigger beans and also a risk for chaff to catch fire whith a bad movement in the beginning. I raised the fan speed and also lowered the preheat so the profile could be used for more fragile beans such as naturals and anaerobics and also beans from lower elevations. A warning!: Don't use "1-series" for bigger beans because of a risk for fire! With the new chaff collector it's very easy to check the bean movement. The last iteration of the second series is the NordicLight5B.kpro. The batch size is also smaller. I use 90g.

If the beans have a low moisture i prefer to hydrate them as I've described before. This is especially validfor many Ethiopians. I live in the north and we have a low humidity in our houses during winter and that makes the beans even drier. I use 100g for the first variant. If I hydrate I use for example 95g of beans and 5g of water. For the second variant I try to get 90g including hydration. 95g could also work but check the movement!

The second version profile with a higher fan speed and a lower preheat can be adapted for bigger washed beans with a high density from a high altitude by using a higher preheat. I have no name for this variant but you can give it some name if you want to save it and separate it from the original. In that case don't forget to change the name in the "About"-section as Studio looks there. Don't forget to save the original profile somewhere before you make changes and then put it back in the list afterwards. If you don't save it as a new profile don't forget to adjust the profile back if you want to use more fragile beans again with a lower preheat!
H@R

Post by H@R »

Thanks you very much for those explanations.
In my previous reading (may too fast because i was impatient), i did not catch the 2 variants. Il is much more clear and i will try.
I also practice pre-wet (my green beans are not stored in good conditions). I remember an Excel sheet form Scott R to calculate the weight of water
Cory

Post by Cory »

Thank you for creating and sharing these profiles. After trying several on this forum & KL's default profiles, the 1B2 profile here is the best for getting an even roast with solid development in about 1:03 to 1:13 time after crack (the zone I've seen used by Patrik Rolf of April Coffee on YouTube). I'm using a 120V machine in the US and my machine has no issues following these profiles.
machapelle

Post by machapelle »

What is the name of the Kaffelogic group on Discord? I can't find it. Thanks
H@R

Post by H@R »

question off topic ?????.................
haven't heard about such group ; no info seen on KL web pages. but there's a FB group
Atthis

Post by Atthis »

I Try Today NordicLight4 with Brazil Coffee,
its after 24h drinkable, nut and sweet.

I Try today a new Marge with 100g. If them same, then its my favorite Filter taste: -)

Thanks
Atthis
Attachments
Atthis_log0039.png
Atthis_log0039.png (59.34 KiB) Viewed 855 times
log0039.klog
(64.74 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
:D I Love sweet Chocolate Coffee :oops: