Cyclonic chaff collector design

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Geronimo

Cyclonic chaff collector design

Post by Geronimo »

Hi KL Support

Out of interest, does the new see thru chaff collector include cyclonic chaff collection in the top portion to reduce particles in the air?

Thanks
G
Wayne

Re: Cyclonic chaff collector design

Post by Wayne »

Hi Geronimo

The new chaff collector lid has a mess top that will catch particles. The entire top chaff collecting cup is designed as close to a cyclonic chat collectors we can get without too much air flow restriction.

The particles in air will be minimised but never completely removed. To further minimise these air particles, it is recommended that the collector cup be removed and cleaned after each roast.

Regards
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Thanks Wayne

I guess the main advantage is the see thru ability, and sounds like I’ll still have roast outside with this new chaff collector which isn’t a major, and continue to pick the better temperature days for roasting.

Cheers
G
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi G

Is it an issue with fire alarms?

If it is, roasting under the range hood should eliminate this?

W
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Hi Wayne

It’s a rubbish extractor which is very crude in the way it functions requiring the window to be open.

I guess the other option is for me to look for some flexible ducting and cheap extractor fan to vent outside. I think I would need to score an old swivel type lamp, that I could butcher, and make it easy to move the end of the ducting in/out of position. Just in case you are thinking this: I don’t have an option to extend the current stove extractor fan ducting.

Cheers
G
discoaus

Post by discoaus »

Geronimo wrote: Tue 05 Jul, 2022 12:35 pm Hi Wayne

It’s a rubbish extractor which is very crude in the way it functions requiring the window to be open.

I guess the other option is for me to look for some flexible ducting and cheap extractor fan to vent outside. I think I would need to score an old swivel type lamp, that I could butcher, and make it easy to move the end of the ducting in/out of position. Just in case you are thinking this: I don’t have an option to extend the current stove extractor fan ducting.

Cheers
G
I roast inside next to a window with a fly screen and have no issues with it ventilating at all. I don’t get much chaff spilling out but nothing a quick vacuum can’t solve after I finish my whole roasting session
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Hi Wayne

As always appreciate your suggestions.

I have on occasion roasted literally out the window. With a board cantilevered out the window, with the roaster positioned just outside the window, and a desktop fan aimed at the chaff collector, forcing residual chaff and smell outside. It does work quite well but the downside is that it requires a power cord extension in my case. I use Damian’s D-Roast quite a bit and come unstuck with a lower voltage (with extension cord) that is deemed necessary to avoid flat lining.

Cheers
G