Would love some starter references for some greens

discoaus

Would love some starter references for some greens

Post by discoaus »

Hi there, I’m a new member to the roasting scene but long time coffee snob member, I have just recently purchase a KL and have bought 4 different greens to dabble in the roasting process

My currents are:
India Elephant Hills
PNG Waghi
Brazil yellow bourbon
Ethiopian Yirg

Now I have started roasting the India EH and currently found the 1500-2000 REST 3.6 to my liking, but would like some starting references for the others if possible

I am roasting for espresso( milk drinks), grinding on a Niche Zero, so preference is med-dark

Would love the help, and thanks heaps!
Femelle

Re: Would love some starter references for some greens

Post by Femelle »

Hi discoaus and welcome to the KL forum.

I’m also relatively new here, having done about 30 roasts at this stage. Also started with EH as my first bean and found the 1500-2000 profile very good at that 3.4-3.6 level. Recently though, I branched out and tried it at both 1200-1500 MASL and using the D-roast profile and found lots more in the bean. In the 1200-1500 profile there was more fruit and some nutty overtones while keeping the sweetness. In the D-roast there was more body and a bit of cocoa which was great in a milk coffee. So I’d recommend giving both those options a try as well.

I’ve also got PNG Wahgi and Eth Yirg but can’t tell you anything about them as I roasted them only a day ago so haven’t touched them yet. I did the Yirg at 1500-2000, L 2.4 as my experience with my Eth Shikasso beans was that I preferred it as a medium-light roast and I thought to start my journey with the Yirg the same way.

The Wahgi I’ve done using the D-roast profile, L3.4 as I found the orofile so much to my taste with the EH I wanted to use it again.

I’ll post some comments on each of them after I open them.

While I know nothing about the Brazils, there’s quite a bit on the forums (can’t recall if they’re here or over at CS) about peoples’ results with these. Lower density, lower altitude, I’ve seen quite a few suggestions and comments.
Femelle

Post by Femelle »

More responses: If you go to the ‘Green Bean and Profile Reviews’ in the ‘Roast Profiles’ forum you’ll find good information on some of the beans you have.
discoaus

Post by discoaus »

Femelle wrote: Mon 23 May, 2022 11:14 pm Hi discoaus and welcome to the KL forum.

I’m also relatively new here, having done about 30 roasts at this stage. Also started with EH as my first bean and found the 1500-2000 profile very good at that 3.4-3.6 level. Recently though, I branched out and tried it at both 1200-1500 MASL and using the D-roast profile and found lots more in the bean. In the 1200-1500 profile there was more fruit and some nutty overtones while keeping the sweetness. In the D-roast there was more body and a bit of cocoa which was great in a milk coffee. So I’d recommend giving both those options a try as well.

I’ve also got PNG Wahgi and Eth Yirg but can’t tell you anything about them as I roasted them only a day ago so haven’t touched them yet. I did the Yirg at 1500-2000, L 2.4 as my experience with my Eth Shikasso beans was that I preferred it as a medium-light roast and I thought to start my journey with the Yirg the same way.

The Wahgi I’ve done using the D-roast profile, L3.4 as I found the orofile so much to my taste with the EH I wanted to use it again.

I’ll post some comments on each of them after I open them.

While I know nothing about the Brazils, there’s quite a bit on the forums (can’t recall if they’re here or over at CS) about peoples’ results with these. Lower density, lower altitude, I’ve seen quite a few suggestions and comments.
Thanks for the responses! I am a long time member on CS, and I go by FilthySudo in that neck of the woods, so I had a name change since. I will test out your profiles for the yirg and waghi when I get to them, I’m focusing on 1 bean at a time, working out something I like, roasting 1kg worth to split between myself and my mum and then I move onto the next bean! The 4 varieties I have is keeping me busy enough as it is, let alone adding more to my armoury. I would love to dabble in blends but I feel like roasting singles is enough of its own challenge at this stage for me.
Femelle

Post by Femelle »

Totally understand the focus on one bean at a time. Do give the lower MASL profile a go on the Elephant Hills though, I found that it opened up new flavours and was really good in the cup.
Femelle

Post by Femelle »

My notes on the Wahgi, D-roast at L3.4 - bright, quite high acid, the merest hint of cocoa at the end, Needs a deeper roast for my palate (which also enjoys the EH at L3.6).

On the Yirg, 1500-2000 at L2.4 - it definitely ‘pops’ but I think that it, too, would benefit as a SO from a slightly deeper roast for a better balance and a bit more depth.

So for both of these I’ll go a bit darker next time, especially for milk-based drinks.
discoaus

Post by discoaus »

Femelle wrote: Sun 12 Jun, 2022 3:34 pm My notes on the Wahgi, D-roast at L3.4 - bright, quite high acid, the merest hint of cocoa at the end, Needs a deeper roast for my palate (which also enjoys the EH at L3.6).

On the Yirg, 1500-2000 at L2.4 - it definitely ‘pops’ but I think that it, too, would benefit as a SO from a slightly deeper roast for a better balance and a bit more depth.

So for both of these I’ll go a bit darker next time, especially for milk-based drinks.
Cheers for that! Yeah I roasted the yirg at 2.8 and didn’t mind the flavours coming out from this, but I did try it mixed with my Brazil roasted on 0-1200 2.8 and was nice and chocolates but also with a slight sweet note from the yirg. I did a 60/40 Brazil/yirg.

Im now attempting Brazil steady and dark ii 4.8 with yirg 1500-2000 2.4. To see what a dark Brazil will a fairly light yirg will be like. I will mix these separate rather than combine my whole batch to see what works