Default settings log display?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
nrdlnd

Default settings log display?

Post by nrdlnd »

I think it's important how you visualize your log. You want to get as much information as possible to be a help for eventual modifications of a profile. In "General options" you can set the ROR resolution on the Y-axis. Default is X1. With this setting the ROR often looks very "good" with not many variations up and down. You can also "smooth" the readings over time. KL with it's small and fast temperature probe reads the temperature every second. Default smoothing is 1 (one) second. There are different ways to get more information from the log. The easiest is to enlarge the Y-axis. X2 gives more information than X1 for example. With 1 sec smoothing if you set much above X2 it's difficult to see changes over time. I have tried different settings. With higher X you will need more smoothing. For some time I've used X5 and 30 sec smoothing as recommended in the manual. I think that X2 and 1 sec smoothing also is a good setting. The default X1 gives too little information but it may make you happy! :) I have some examples here: https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... t=40#p2427

I'm not so fond of the default setting as I think it doesn't show what's really happening.
In the manual:
"3. When analysing rate of rise curves, it helps to adjust
the options settings (Use the Kaffelogic Studio menu
to select Options > Edit options). ROR y-axis multiplier
should be set to 5 so that you can see detail. ROR
smoothing of logs should be set to 30 secs so that
you can see trends more easily."

Why isn't this the default setting? How do you do?
Geronimo

Re: Default settings log display?

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Thu 14 Apr, 2022 10:56 am Why isn't this the default setting?
Very good point.

G
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Thank you Geronimo!

Yes it is strange that the default setting is X1 and 1 sec smoothing as it so little information but it looks "nice". It's not of much help if you want to make modifications for a special bean. The biggest problem is the resolution on the y-axes. Just enlarge to X2 makes it a little better and more useable. But the recommended setting in the manual, X5 and 30 sec smoothing, shows "trends" better.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Sat 16 Apr, 2022 12:13 am Thank you Geronimo!

Yes it is strange that the default setting is X1 and 1 sec smoothing as it so little information but it looks "nice". It's not of much help if you want to make modifications for a special bean. The biggest problem is the resolution on the y-axes. Just enlarge to X2 makes it a little better and more useable. But the recommended setting in the manual, X5 and 30 sec smoothing, shows "trends" better.
Hi

I thought my roasts were looking too perfect till you thankfully pointed this scaling/timing out. Certainly better for seeing problematic parts of curve that might need some tweaks to iron things out.

G