BOOST Package

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
fnq

BOOST Package

Post by fnq »

Hi

I received my info about 'coming soon' release of glass chaff collector and BOOST pack offering larger load sizes as well as bluetooth capabilities through my subscribed newsletter...

I haven't seen much discussion on these possibilities. ( or i haven;t read all the info )

I am picturing one profile that currently exists (say 2000-2700m REST) when i input either 60 gm or 100gms or 180 gms the machine magic gives me the same result in the cup without any other inputs/changes

BUT/AND

if i connect with bluetooth and am trying a new profile :-

can I look in real time to how the roast log is tracking the profile and if required ( looking at colour change etc) i can tweak the parameters whilst roast is occurring?

or is it just the ability to make changes (after the event) in bluetooth connectivity rather than shipping the USB to STudio software and then returning it into the roaster?

ADDITIONALLY

My power supply ( 230v) is sometimes a limiting factor with say fan speed ( eg D roast profiles without tweaking)

I have some beans that I use 90 gms instead of a base load of 100gm to avoid tipping ( probably a lazy and imprecise solution) so does BOOST address this ( 110 v people may be curious here also)
Cheers Darryl
BenN

Re: BOOST Package

Post by BenN »

My understanding is that with BT, we can track it real time and may be adjust level for those preexisting profile but nothing else same as current.

But it will help more, if you happen to be using manual mode roaching ( yest that's possible according to manual, but I haven't done as no visual help around, )

new 200g batch will be helpful for some of my routine roast among 100g batch size,
Ben
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi,
The new chaff collector looks nice. The capacity today is ok for me now even if I don't say no to a higher capacity sometimes. But it's a great "if". If the roaster becomes much higher it will not fit below the kitchen hood and in my case makes it unusable. One of the very great advantages with the KL is that it fits below the kitchen hood to take care of the smoke.

I wonder about the BT. Is it BT that connects to an ordinary PC or will it work with a mobile or tablet? Then I think Studio must be rewritten for those platforms? It could be very nice to be able to evaluate the roast directly during and after the roast and then make changes and make a new roast directly without having to go to the PC in between. Maybe even work with the profile already during the cooling phase? This could spare some time.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Tue 29 Mar, 2022 11:02 am I wonder about the BT. Is it BT that connects to an ordinary PC or will it work with a mobile or tablet? Then I think Studio must be rewritten for those platforms? It could be very nice to be able to evaluate the roast directly during and after the roast and then make changes and make a new roast directly without having to go to the PC in between. Maybe even work with the profile already during the cooling phase? This could spare some time.
Hi

It would be great to have a mobile device option in addition to existing software, or a total rewrite from the ground up to port to all platforms (a major exercise me be guessing, and probably wouldn't happen). Although I'm guessing there are cross platform tools to help in this area.

Ikawa charges nearly 30 pounds per month for the advanced software that allows editing on the phone, for their version 2 of the roaster. Free if you have the previous version of roaster.

A one off purchase of an app, or purchase of major releases (rather than maintenance releases), Id certainly be open to fork out some money to allow development in this area.

Cheers
G
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

Perhaps, it's a "nice to have" feature rather than "must to have". You can roast multiple batches today with very consistent results: it just takes around 10mins to roast a batch so going 200g is not a huge time saving feature. I rather get more bean specific roast profiles and more user friendly roasting profiles adjustments for people who don't have deep coffee roasting understanding/experience.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

TheBean wrote: Thu 31 Mar, 2022 2:13 pm I rather get more bean specific roast profiles and more user friendly roasting profiles adjustments for people who don't have deep coffee roasting understanding/experience.
This roaster is very nice as it is even if it's nice to get upgrades. I've put a glass Petri bowl on top of the scaff collector to be able to see the movement of the beans and I'm using my mobile phone to help me record 1st crack. I still think the scaff collector can be better and what's coming looks very promising. What makes this roaster so good is the tiny fast reacting probe and the accompanion logic and software. I hope the BT upgrade will make it possible to evaluate the roast and make direct changes to the profile in the roaster and that you can save these changes. A least with a laptop but ideally with a tablet (Android and I-Pad). This will make the roaster more user friendly if you want to develop your roasting skill. You can still get very good results with the standard profiles and settings.