Rehydrating beans - any experience?

Have you discovered a good way to do something with your Kaffelogic? Share it here.
nrdlnd

Re: Rehydrating beans - any experience?

Post by nrdlnd »

I've had the possibility to measure the roast level with a Tonino meter. The D-Light profile without and with my modifications gives "Light" roasts in the interval about 1.0 - 1.5 and that corresponds rather well with the profile settings. I thought they should be farther away. It seems possible to arrive at a well developed (DTR above 20%) light roast with rehydrated beans. This could be a reason to rehydrate if you are interested to roast light (I am!).
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

Interesting. I don't have a meter but had similar suspicions - thank you for confirming it!
Hawko

Post by Hawko »

its been pretty hot and humid in Sydney recently and Ive seen some variances in my standard roasts from a taste perspective. perhaps related?
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Wed 02 Feb, 2022 11:13 pm I've had the possibility to measure the roast level with a Tonino meter. The D-Light profile without and with my modifications gives "Light" roasts in the interval about 1.0 - 1.5 and that corresponds rather well with the profile settings. I thought they should be farther away. It seems possible to arrive at a well developed (DTR above 20%) light roast with rehydrated beans. This could be a reason to rehydrate if you are interested to roast light (I am!).
Hi Nrdlnd

Unrelated to this subject, but Interestingly countries that consume large amounts of coffee per capita seem do quite well at the Winter Olympics. Probably hard training is more likely the winning ingredient in reality. Watched a couple of events live on TV where Sweden won Gold. Sweden is sitting on top of medal table at the moment.

Cheers
G
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

@Geronimo: Coffein has been considered as a doping agent periodically and has been forbidden. It's free to use after 2014. It has a positive effect on some parameters but I don't think coffein is the reason Nils van der Pool won 5000m skating. There is probably no other athlet in the world training as hard as him. No one wants or has been able to copy his regime. Remember that this is winter games and Nordic countries are traditionally good in these sports because of the climate. It happens to coincide with that the same countries are the "worst" coffee drinkers. Finland is the worst in coffee drinking but they haven't succeded so well yet this time.
Cheers
Last edited by nrdlnd on Thu 10 Feb, 2022 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hawko wrote: Sun 06 Feb, 2022 7:28 pm its been pretty hot and humid in Sydney recently and Ive seen some variances in my standard roasts from a taste perspective. perhaps related?
It's a pity that you couldn't measure the moisture of the beans or maybe it's just the higher humidity of the air that affects the result? A more humid air is probably more efficient roasting the beans and that may affect the profile and the taste positive or negative. I'm intending to do comparisons between rehydrated and non rehydrated beans but I have to wait. I'm recovering from Covid and it has altered my taste buds :cry:
TheBean

Post by TheBean »

nrdlnd wrote: Thu 10 Feb, 2022 4:03 am
Hawko wrote: Sun 06 Feb, 2022 7:28 pm its been pretty hot and humid in Sydney recently and Ive seen some variances in my standard roasts from a taste perspective. perhaps related?
It's a pity that you couldn't measure the moisture of the beans or maybe it's just the higher humidity of the air that affects the result? A more humid air is probably more efficient roasting the beans and that may affect the profile and the taste positive or negative. I'm intending to do comparisons between rehydrated and non rehydrated beans but I have to wait. I'm recovering from Covid and it has altered my taste buds :cry:
Wish you a speedy recovery!
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

TheBean wrote: Fri 11 Feb, 2022 3:24 pm
nrdlnd wrote: Thu 10 Feb, 2022 4:03 am I'm recovering from Covid and it has altered my taste buds :cry:
Wish you a speedy recovery!
Thank you for your care! I'm triple vaccinated as my wife. It helps against severe disease and me and my wife have had symtoms more like a half bad flu and we are recovering. The taste and smell is coming back slowly. So it's probably the Omicron variant. It's endemic now. The restrictions are ended in Sweden except for the minority who isn't vaccinated. It's mostly these "Antivax" people who needs intensive care now if they get Covid. It's a pity they don't trust medical science before it's too late. If anyone of you reading this haven't taken the vaccine please do for your own sake!

Well tomorrow I will roast 3 batches of a washed Guatemalan. It's from 2019 so it needs rehydrating I think. One batch is the beans rehydrated to 16% moisture with the profile I've modified for rehydrated beans. One batch with the same profile but with non rehydrated beans and the last with a profile that has worked well with this bean before (slightly different compared to the profile modified for moistured beans). I will then try to cup the batches blindly. I will use the James Hoffmann form:
Prufrock Coffee Tasting Guide.pdf
(90.1 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
I do also recommend his videos on cupping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSEgP4VNynQ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEZZCQTSSAg

@Geronimo: Nils van der Poel won his second gold medal now in 10000m speedskate today and on a new world record! Impressing! Maybe you wonder about his name and it is Dutch! Nils was born and grown up in Sweden but his grandfather was a Dutch immigrant.
Cheers
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Sat 12 Feb, 2022 12:47 pm
@Geronimo: Nils van der Poel won his second gold medal now in 10000m speedskate today and on a new world record! Impressing! Maybe you wonder about his name and it is Dutch! Nils was born and grown up in Sweden but his grandfather was a Dutch immigrant.
Cheers
[/quote]

Hi

I watched his mammoth World Record effort. Awesome indeed. Interesting fact on his name. I have really enjoyed the speed skating, Cross Country/Biathlon and Alpine events, plus the newer additions to the Winter Olympics. The time difference works well here in NZ to catch most of the finals in the evening. A bit late for a coffee though.

Cheers
G
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi again,
I have now made 5 roasts with the Guatemalan Asoproguate washed high altitude from 2019. Two roasts without rehydration with two variants of the profile and three roasts with rehydrated beans to about 16% moisture. The first rehydrated batch with a regular PID-controlled zone 3 at the end. The PID couldn't control the roast during the development phase. Then I made two roasts with a power zone at the end with 4% respectively 5% power increase. The last one was the best but not perfect. I had also made some modifications on the other two zones. The roasts without rehydrating was very OK and seemed to be less critical with the profile but they both became darker more like "Medium Light". The rehydrated beans all became "Light". DTR the same about 20%-21% for all roasts. I haven't tasted the roasts yet.

One very interesting thing has come out of this. The rehydrated beans seem to come out lighter at the same relative development time! They are well developed light roasts! (DTR 20-21%) I think this is an achievement! At the same time the development phase is more difficult to control as the PID-logic overreacts. Maybe sudden vapor bursts that the logic can't handle (just a guess)? If you want an even lighter and less developed roast it is of course possible to stop earlier at for example 15% DTR.

What's left is how it tastes and I will try my best to be objective even if it's of course not possible. The roast degree will not be exactly the same and that will affect the taste.
Cheers,