D-Light

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
nrdlnd

Re: D-Light

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi Geronimo,

It's all about my coffee habits just now. My priority now is to get nice "regular" filter coffee in the morning. I'm using 20 g coffee beans to make around 325 ml coffee. I'm drinking it to my breakfast. Sometimes we also drink coffee in the afternoon. I'm the only one drinking espresso in our house why it has a lower priority. Making "black" espresso is an art especially from more lightly roasted East African beans (often single origin) that I prefer now. My espresso making has before been mostly with more dark roasts and with blends. But espresso is the next step! I recently got a new grinder that is supposed to work well with lighter roasts. It's a learning curve and it has to be seasoned.

As I've said I have only made minor modifications to Damians original profile to suit my lower voltage. I think my log is rather similar to Damians logs. I think Damian mainly makes espresso with milk (correct me if I'm wrong!) so I think my profile should work similarly.

Why don't you try the profile and report back if it works similar to your calibration modification?

Cheers
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Wed 22 Dec, 2021 11:43 am Why don't you try the profile and report back if it works similar to your calibration modification?
Hi

I had just roasted a stash of coffee prior to your modifications. I’ll give it a go in the next roast session in a week or so.

Cheers
G
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi,
Yes please do! I usually record 1st crack with my mobile and a recording app as I'm hearing impaired and I need the visual help of the recorder. I can also see if it is the first single crack or cracks coming in succession. Default for this profile for a medium light is around L=1.8 and DTR 21% with my roaster. I start with L = 2.0 or 2.5 depending on the roast degree I want or the character of the bean as it differs between beans. As a first try I would recommend to start with L=2.5 and then stop the roast around DTR 21%.

With my higher altitude beans I'm usually landing around 1.8 (but it differs with the beans). My Ethiopians are Grade 2 or for the Kafa Wild Grade 3-4. I don't see that these smaller beans need a higher preheat but bigger Grade 1 or AA beans from a high altitude may need a higher preheat to get a good start. That's why I have lowered the fan speed a little in the beginning (but still with a good movement of the beans) to be able to have a higher preheat. If you have big beans please check the movement in the beginning! I have a glass lid instead of the default lid and I use a flashlight and a mirror to be able to check the movement. I haven't found any movement problems with this profile as the fan speed is still high at the beginning.

Cheers
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Wed 22 Dec, 2021 12:54 pm Default for this profile for a medium light is around L=1.8 and DTR 21% with my roaster. I start with L = 2.0 or 2.5 depending on the roast degree I want or the character of the bean as it differs between beans. As a first try I would recommend to start with L=2.5 and then stop the roast around DTR 21%.

With my higher altitude beans I'm usually landing around 1.8 (but it differs with the beans). My Ethiopians are Grade 2 or for the Kafa Wild Grade 3-4. I don't see that these smaller beans need a higher preheat but bigger Grade 1 or AA beans from a high altitude may need a higher preheat to get a good start. That's why I have lowered the fan speed a little in the beginning (but still with a good movement of the beans) to be able to have a higher preheat. If you have big beans please check the movement in the beginning! I have a glass lid instead of the default lid and I use a flashlight and a mirror to be able to check the movement. I haven't found any movement problems with this profile as the fan speed is still high at the beginning.

Cheers
Gidday again NrdLnd

Extremely useful info, and many thanks. Certainly helps with this amount of detail to avoid reinventing the wheel so to speak. I’ll try some Kenyan and/or Ethiopia Yirgacheffe.

Cheers
G
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi,
I would try the Yirga first. It's probably a smaller bean if it's grade 2. Of course the Kenian can be an AB.
Cheers
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Thu 23 Dec, 2021 5:03 am Hi,
I would try the Yirga first. It's probably a smaller bean if it's grade 2. Of course the Kenian can be an AB.
Cheers
Hi

Yeah grade 2 on the Yirg and AB on the Kenyan.

Cheers
G
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi,
It will be interesting to hear how they work for you. Washed Sidamo Grade 2 has become one of my staple coffees for lighter roast. It usually works for most preparation methods. It's not a real 'single origin' as it comes from different small farmers i the region but from the same washing station. I also have a more expensive microlot 'Guji Anasora' natural that I haven't tried yet.
Cheers
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Thu 23 Dec, 2021 11:24 am It will be interesting to hear how they work for you.
Gidday

I've carried out a bit of a butchers job on a roast, using some beans that needed to be used up. I mixed Peru with a touch of Yirg and ran the D-Light. I'm adding some Brazil Tutti Fruitti beans for a blend with the Steady and Dark profile. I'll do a proper run in the next week of the Yirg and Kenyan bean on own.

Fan speed calibration was set at 0.90 and power was a tad over 1.2kW as shown on power curve.

Cheers
G
Attachments
PO,EY.png
PO,EY.png (61.55 KiB) Viewed 5801 times
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi Geronimo,
Nice to see! Our logs aren't quite comparable as we use different resolutions. Someone gave me the advice to change the settings in the log for the ROR curves to x5 to make deviations more visible and less smoothed. This makes it much easier to see necessary changes to the ROR curves and at the same time more difficult to get a nice curve. Your curve looks very nice (and it is nice!) but it could be interesting to see how it looks with another resolution. :roll: It's easier to compare the curves if we have the same resolution. If you look at my log you can see the difference. Interesting blend you have made where you are mixing different roasts and profiles!
Cheers
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Fri 24 Dec, 2021 12:46 pm Someone gave me the advice to change the settings in the log for the ROR curves to x5 to make deviations more visible and less smoothed. This makes it much easier to see necessary changes to the ROR curves and at the same time more difficult to get a nice curve.
Hi

Thanks for that valuable tip. It does look horrific, but more realistic without the smoothing. Is there any other setting I should change that might be helpful for analysis?

Cheers
G
Attachments
Peru Organic, EY.png
Peru Organic, EY.png (69.5 KiB) Viewed 5786 times