D-Light

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
Damian

D-Light

Post by Damian »

A couple examples
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (145.07 KiB) Viewed 8278 times
2.jpeg
2.jpeg (141.21 KiB) Viewed 8278 times
The profile
D-Light.kpro
(1.75 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
Wayne

Re: D-Light

Post by Wayne »

Hi Damian

Thank you so much for this. Would you use the profile at the default level and would you recommend a brewing style/ extraction method. Any specific coffee origin you have used?

Is the focus here to highlight acidity and nuance flavour with a 20% DTR and a lower Maillard intensity?

I cant wait to try it over the weekend! I am excited. Thank you.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Really interested in your approach to the fan profile... Can you add more context to this? I am really interested in the cleanliness of the cup and what coffee you roasted?
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

I have tried the D-Light profile. This profile is a little too power hungry for my situation (230V on a 220V machine). There is a tendency for the power to flatten out at the end of the roasting session. I think there is a lot of good in this profile especially the higher fan speed in the second part of the roast but it's also where the problem with too little power exists.

I don't agree with the necessity of a very high fan speed at the beginning of the roast. I think what is necessary is a good movement of the beans and at the same time not cooling them down with a too high fan speed. I have tried to lower the initial fan speed and then it's possible to start "hotter" if you like and I think that is important with especially harder washed beans from higher altitudes. I've checked the movement of the beans and it's still good. It's possible to regulate that both with the fan speed and the preheat and for example give softer beans a more gentle start with lesser heat instead.

The fan profile of D-Light (and D-Roast) flattens out at a high level compared to other profiles (15100 RPM). I've tried to lower this speed to make the profile less power hungry and you don't have to lower it very much to get the power requirement become less and it doesn't change the outcome with the roast much. An idea that I've got is to lower the fan speed more in the beginning of the plateu at around 4 minutes (of the original profile) and then progessively increase the fan speed but not more than below the available power resources. This could correspond with a recommendation from Scott Rao. He recommends for electric roasters "to progressively lower the heat while increasing the fan speed". I think that the idea behind this is to get a nice declining ROR without flicks and crashes. This is important to avoid beans to become "baked". Depending on the outcome of different beans it's of course possible to further refine with boost zones.

What do you all think?
Last edited by nrdlnd on Thu 16 Dec, 2021 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi
I have made a modification with the fan profile for us with a little less voltage. I have a 220V machine and 230V mains voltage. After mod I get 1.372 kW power at the end of the roast. This is sufficient for me but maybe not for those with even lower voltage. The profile I show here the fan still flattens at the end. L=1.8 and DTR 21%. I think L=1.7 is ok also.

EDIT: The main difference compared to the original profile is the fan profile. It's a little lower in the beginning to get more room for changing the initial heat of the roast. The end speed is not flat but slowly declining at a lower level to avoid running out of power. It's still a high fan speed compared to most other profiles. After trying the profile I also added 3 negative boost zones to smooth the ROR. These zones may be modified for different beans. I think the log of the modified profile is rather similar to the logs Damian showed initially but now with lower power needs.

I also tried a profile with increased fan speed at the end but the first try didn't work out as well as I want but I may make more changes. EDIT: I'm sceptical to the benefit of this as long as the fan speed is kept on a high level and the heat is lowered to get a declining ROR. I think this can be done directly with the main profile or with zones adjustments.
211210_SidamoWendoGr2_D-Light1Fanmod_1.png
211210_SidamoWendoGr2_D-Light1Fanmod_1.png (70.14 KiB) Viewed 7800 times
This is the profile:
D-Light1fanmod.kpro
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Last edited by nrdlnd on Fri 17 Dec, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi,
I have worked with another profile to increase the fan speed the second half of the roast. I published it here:
https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... 2321#p2321
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

I have roasted all my Christmas coffee with this profile. I didn't alter the profile between an Uganda Kisinga Natural, Ethiopia Wild Kafa Forest Natural, Guatemala Antigua washed and 2 batches Ethiopia Sidamo Wendo Gr 2 washed. ROR looks rather nice on all the different roasts but the heat needs to be lowered more at the end especially for the Guatemala Antigua. I decided to make a small change to the profile. I 'increased' the third negative boost zone to -3 from -2 and lengthened the zone to the very end of the roast. That was a mistake in the first profile I published that zone 3 stopped at 6 min.

I publish the changed profile. Usually the profie doesn't go longer than L=2.0 (usually around 1.7-1.8 for a medium light). Be prepared that you as always may have to make changes with the zones for your beans or your taste. It seems to work well for different beans (washed or natural) especially from higher altitudes. I can't see any tendency to baked beans especially after my last change. Damian who is the original designer of this profile designed it with a high fan speed. At the end of the roast it lessens the risk for crashes and baking. This needs a high voltage from the electric outlet. I don't have that. I have made some changes to the fan speed to lower the power demand but the fan speed is still high compared to most other profiles. I haven't changed the name of the profile. This is the last version.
D-Light1fanmod.kpro
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
Lovic

Post by Lovic »

Hi nrdlnd,

Very interesting feedback and profil, I will try this out asap for my Christmas batches :)
Are you using this profil for pour over, espresso, omniroast ?
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Hi Lovic,
Thank you for your interest. Just now I'm using and testing my roasts with a process similar to V60 (filter). I will try them later as espresso. I see you live in France and I think they should work well with "French Press" ;)
This is actually Damians original profile but I have changed the fan profile to be less power hungry + some modifications to the ROR profile to get it more even after changing the fan profile. I think you have 230V in France as we have here in Sweden? The power was still at its limit for me at the last 2-3 minutes of the roast before I made the last change to the zone 3 (more negative boost and outstretched the zone to the end of the profile). Power need will be a little less after the last modification. This modification is in the last published profile above.

Please report back and if you can show a picture of the log!

Happy roastng!
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Wed 22 Dec, 2021 12:55 am I will try them later as espresso.
Hi

Thanks for doing the hard yards on this profile to reduce power requirements. I’m very keen to know your taste comments when you try making a few espresso using your modified version of Damian’s profile.

Cheers
G