Vietnam: which profile

The 12 core profiles (plus additional profiles customised for specific microlots as they become available)
peleep

Vietnam: which profile

Post by peleep »

hi gang. new to Kaffelogic.

i have some single origin arabica beans from Vietnam. 1500m elevation.

which core original profiles should i be using if the choices are 1200-1500m or 1500-2000m? lol

and in terms of flavour results, what differences would the ninja, ninja 2, or firestarter profiles give?

i suppose i can do 100g for each and see if i can taste the difference. but thought i would ask the pro community first before i subject my amateur taste buds to a taste comparison!

thanks!
Matt S

Re: Vietnam: which profile

Post by Matt S »

It very much depends on the beans and your taste preferences. I would try 100g of both and see what you prefer the taste of :)
fnq

Re: Vietnam: which profile

Post by fnq »

I totally agree with Matt S, here but give some qualifications as well.

Firstly i am not familiar with that bean so sorry no insider knowledge.

To get up to speed relatively quickly in an ongoing and sustainable way try and have some method to your experimenting, and if possible only change one variable at a time ( that is harder than you think.)

So as MAtt suggested try a lower elevation profile and a higher elevation profile and see which drinks better for your taste.. ( The other variables - Profiles, roast depth and length of resting beans as just some examples - try and keep them as similar as you can. )

I think using the elevation profiles as a good starter reference is fairly sound -- use it or KL classic as your benchmark and then when you try to change a Profile ( say to Firestarter) then you have a comparison for reference. Again i used the default settings ( roast level etc) as the first set of reference marks

If inclined ( and i do recommend) take notes of just about everything.... including stuff outside of the roaster..and definitely a system for recording resting time (and degas type bags for storing) eg so i am currently drinking a bean that works best about three notches finer in grind setting than many of my other beans)

Now the reality,,, As a new roaster , i mostly adhered to that model above sort of as a plan, but had trips off script just for the heck of it.. So at 100- 110 green beans gms ONLY to risk( pick a size and use it consistently) - it is not the end of the world if you bin some roasts- or work out your limits for light roasts or superdark roasts. I had(still have) quite a few sideways forays that either lead to dead ends or i lose interest in all in the name of maybe better coffee.

Have fun and let us know , what you think of those beans. Cheers Darryl