Medium Dark as a base bean in blends

Share your tasting notes and evaluation of the beans you have roasted, plus evaluation of the different profiles you have used.
fnq

Medium Dark as a base bean in blends

Post by fnq »

Hi

I contributed a log file of a Mexican El Triunfo arabigo at a 4.4 -4.6 Roast level using a Steve MD profile i little while ago.

I have since been drinking some blends that use a similar profile for the base bean, with now a few added learnings.

My current blends use either Brazilian Pulped Natural or Sulawesi Triple sort Blue as the anchor. ( Generally 33 %) . I roast these to 3.8- 4.0 level ( just on the edge of medium/dark) ( the Mexican bean works well here also)
I use the same MD profile but tweak my inputs to match the bean,,,, I particularly like the profile to have an increasing power zone towards the back end of the roast)
My feature bean is then added at 66 % . ( Lazy roaster 33%/66% means three roasts only!!!!! I am sure some experimentation around the percentages could get better results still)

At the moment I am using an Ethiopian Yirgachef roasted using the Core 1500-2000 M REST profile to somewhere between 3.2 and 3.6 roast level . I have tried other profiles such as the KL classic and Ninja and this bean seems to drink pretty well on different profiles

Post blend and wait- i aim for Day 6 now and am getting more smoothness out of the roast.

Good for milk based drinks- chocolate lingering finish with some subtle pleasant tastes contributed by the Yirg ( not nutty and not cinnamon but along those lines-)

Prior to this profile, i was having trouble getting good results from the Brazil Pulped in particular - whether lower elevation profiles were used or not. Cheers Darryl
Barry O'Speedwagon

Re: Medium Dark as a base bean in blends

Post by Barry O'Speedwagon »

Yeh, I find that Steve's MD3 profile (at about 4.1-4.3) works really well with the Brazil PN (much better than all of my previous attempts with this bean on the Behmor). Have been blending that with various others (West JAva, Shakisso Estate, a couple of Colombians) with pretty good results thus far. Particularly as a flat white.

The MD3 also looks to have done a great job on the Panama Hartmann Black Honey (not tasted yet) which I never really mastered on the Behmor. It is both a blend and SO candidate in 3 or 4 days.