Raost

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
coffeeg20

Re: Updated Profiles

Post by coffeeg20 »

thanks for the your continued support for the community, just got my device in States and ready to try your profiles
[quote=benjaminfleon post_id=2665 time=1674514260 user_id=391]
JonFairhurst

Re: Raost

Post by JonFairhurst »

I’m developing my process for working with a new bean, based on the Raost and Adaptive Raost profiles.

The background is that my wife bought a large collection of bean types in one pound batches, so I’m getting few attempts at nailing any one type.

Given that I have pounds, I adjusted the two profiles for 113.4g (1/4 lb.) I also set both to stop at Level 5.9, because they are intended for manual stops. This gives me two profiles: a SlowStarter113, based on Adaptive, and a FastStarter113, based on Raost. In both cases, I scaled the fan speed by 110% and added 288W to the preheat power, compared to the original profiles. I ignored the warnings when saving.

FWIW, my first roasts were with 1/5 lb (90.7g), but I worry that the temperature probe might not get covered by some beans.113.4g makes this more universal.

Okay, I start with SlowStarter113. I note the dry time (full color change), and I log first crack. I then manually stop the roast at 25% development. On my first attempt, this ended up being Level 3.2 for a Panamanian, lower density coffee. Visually, it’s medium to medium-light.

Looking at the curve, there were no oscillations, and it tracked well. I could fine tune the preheat power slightly to really hit the line.

I then tried the same process with FastStarter113. Stopping at 25% development was only Level 0.1 and the result was light to very-light, visually. Next time, I will note the end temperature for the SlowStarter113 roast and stop this next roast at the same temperature, rather than the same development percentage.

With both roasts done on the same day, I will be able to compare the slower and faster roasts on the same bean. I can then decide if I want the final profile for the bean to be slow, fast, in-between, or to try and push it to very slow or very fast.

Not only will I end up with many beans tried and many profiles, but I will start to learn if I tend to like slower or faster roasts, and how the correlate to coffees of different regions and altitudes.

Finally, I want to give thanks to the Kaffelogic team, as the workflow for home use and quality of the roaster is an order of magnitude better than anything I’ve used before. And a big thanks to Benjamin for providing the Raost set of profiles. While the elevation-based factory profiles got me started and I got good tasting coffees, the Raost profiles track more reliably and helped me develop a clear process for working with a new bean quickly.

I’m loving the journey!
Celador

Post by Celador »

How does Raost v5 behave in combination with the Boost Kit? Is it now possible to use the new batch size setting on the device instead of changing the fan curve and preheat power in the profile (as it is written in the profile description)? If so, can you simply subtract an offset from the set amount (because Raost considers 80 grams as standard and not 120 grams). For example, you want to roast 140 grams with Raost v5 and then set 200 grams on the device?
BGS_Coffee

Post by BGS_Coffee »

Celador wrote: Wed 07 Jun, 2023 2:02 am How does Raost v5 behave in combination with the Boost Kit? Is it now possible to use the new batch size setting on the device instead of changing the fan curve and preheat power in the profile (as it is written in the profile description)? If so, can you simply subtract an offset from the set amount (because Raost considers 80 grams as standard and not 120 grams). For example, you want to roast 140 grams with Raost v5 and then set 200 grams on the device?
I am wondering this same thing as well. I just got my Boost kit in earlier this week and was wondering how it worked in conjunction specifically with the Raost profiles. If the device is modifying the profile based on batch size, it should work just the way you've stated. But I've not been brave enough to try it myself just yet. :lol:
Cyberness

Post by Cyberness »

Raost v5 worked OK for me, I was able to find a setting that worked for my beans and taste (not delicious, but drinkable for sure), but after installing Boost kit and updating firmware, every suddenly went off. So far, I could't find the sweet spot again, so also looking for some advises from someone more experienced.
BenN

Post by BenN »

With new firmware and software, you cans set reference load size on profile.
May be set it to 80 for this profile? If not set it is default value is 120.

My goto profile is nominally developed for 100g load with default setting and update profile profile seems to be more reliable resukt with boost.
Ben
vcuken

Post by vcuken »

Anyone here has any recommendations for 140-150g batches with the boost ring?
I tried RaostV4 but it certainly produced too little bean movement and for a natural I ended up with a botched runaway roast.
I am planning to do adjustments to the AdaptiveRaost, but wonder if there is anything that already works out there.
JonFairhurst

Post by JonFairhurst »

When I tried Raost v5 and Adaptive with Boost, I felt that they were much too fast. You can edit them by scaling the time of the roast and fan curves by about 110% and lowering the initial temperature of the profile.

I did a test, using Ninja Turtle as the basis, with first crack at around 5, 6, 7, and 8 minutes. First, note that FC at 5 minutes will be at a much higher temperature than at 8 minutes, because it has less time to soak into the bean, so when you lengthen the time of a roast, also scale down the temperatures if you want to hit some target times.

In cupping the results, my wife and I found FC=5 to be thin with a mix of bitter and sour. FC=6 was much better. FC=7 showed a small improvement. FC=8 was terrible. It was like bad diner coffee that had been sitting in the pot too long. Of course, that was one coffee on one profile, but it was really informative. My feeling was that FC=6:45 might have been the peak. The coffee was a fresh, high altitude, Guatemalan with nutty chocolate flavors.

I did a different test with a fruity Ethiopian that has an odd, unpleasant flavor that I’m trying to minimize. The seller calls that flavor “rue”. We have tasted it as green olives and French onion soup. We cupped the 2000-2700 profile (FC=7:30), Raost v5, which had FC=5, and a custom profile that I had based on the Adaptive Profile (which in turn is based on Raost) that I had tuned for FC=6:45. All were with 20% development. I also did a 12% development roast with my profile.

The modified Adaptive roasts were much better than the 2000-2700 or Raost. But keep in mind that my custom profiles are basically Raost, just slowed down.

Our next test will be with this same bean using my slowed down profile at different roast levels. After that I’ll probably do another test that keeps FC and drop times the same, but dries faster or slower.

My summary is that the Raost curve is quite good, but is too aggressive with Boost. Modify it for your bean by scaling time and temperature so you hit FC at somewhere around 6:30 or 7:00. Drop it at your preferred roast level. Drink. Enjoy.
dynamiteroll

Post by dynamiteroll »

vcuken wrote: Sat 23 Sep, 2023 3:27 am Anyone here has any recommendations for 140-150g batches with the boost ring?
I tried RaostV4 but it certainly produced too little bean movement and for a natural I ended up with a botched runaway roast.
I am planning to do adjustments to the AdaptiveRaost, but wonder if there is anything that already works out there.
It can be very bean dependent - the Guatamala I have roasts like a dream and can be upsized to a 160g charge without hitting max power with my 110V Nano. Sumatra or Bali, because they hold a bit more moisture, I can only do 80-100g at a time. I try to keep total roast time under 11 minutes and tend to roast to med or med dark. 7-8 min first crack does seem to work best for me as well with 100-120g.
machapelle

Post by machapelle »

I read much about "Raost Profiles" including references to Raostv4,5 etc, but I don't find specific downloads.
Am I in the wrong Kaffelogic Community?
Where do I find more on this topic?