Mexico el Triunfo Arabigo

Share your tasting notes and evaluation of the beans you have roasted, plus evaluation of the different profiles you have used.
fnq

Mexico el Triunfo Arabigo

Post by fnq »

I use a tweaked version of Steve's MD profile on this bean. I have altered the preheat power and i think time from the original to suit my power supply. without the tweaks the logs would overshoot the profile but then mirror the profile line. (Adjust yours to suit)

I use it for Medium Dark espresso 4.4 - 4.6 roast level. 100gms - Available power usually 235 volts

The result is a good med Dark coffee with a slight choc finish but with pepper/ spice hints throughout. Great in milk.

I am not sure if it is luck/coincidence/other, but these roasts work with a good steady momentum through FC
AND manage to keep a slight continuing positive power gradient.. I think the consistent power balance and lack of heavy intervention by the PID ( my assumptions) contribute to this clean taste.

i also personally like the way the roast locks into the profile gradient at around the 150 degree and before the 2 minute mark- keeping things in a nice steady state as it goes through bean changes.

Drinks best from Day 3 on, but very drinkable earlier if push comes to shove.
Attachments
log0295.klog
MD slight tweak
(78.24 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
Geronimo

Re: Mexico el Triunfo Arabigo

Post by Geronimo »

Very nice.

I reckon that you could use a power profile zone (disabling PID for that zone) from around 1’57” thru to end, as your power curve is practically a straight line with the PID control.

Obviously it would be specific to that bean.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Cheers
fnq

Post by fnq »

Hi Geronimo

I may well step back into the power profile waters again, but my first few forays were well wide of the mark.

My maths on the first (incorrect maths) resulted in hitting the 200 degree mark going too steep hot and wild and taking a reasonable roast and turning it into an undrinkable one.

My second foray just didn't emulate the profile ( i think i needed to play with the fan curve towards the end ) and so i have stepped out of power curves for the moment and leaving them to the pros. These weren't on this base profile though.

I do think this curve has power possibilities for the reasons you state.- i sort of think of it as a pseudo power profile - i get the feeling the PID is not being overly disruptive and i do like the smooth application of power
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Hi

Yeah it’s much safer to use PID control to avoid trashing the beans. And your power curve looked super even, and reflected on the roast curve, so agree not worth the pain of a power profile if beans are tasty.

Cheers
G
Jaybee

Post by Jaybee »

A staple single origin bean of mine for latte. I have yet to deviate from K-Logic classic 3.6 which I find quite lovely, so I'm very interested to hear about your experimentation :)
rosemarycole6

Post by rosemarycole6 »

I have to say this is one of my favourite beans since starting to roast again in early April; in fact I purchased another 2.5kg from Coffee Snobs immediately after tasting it. I have used the altitude profile of 1200-1500 Rest across 6 roasts and all have resulted in stunning bright, bold coffees with a spicy finish. I only drink latte. Comparing to your profile, mine is a slower roast but ending around the same time give or take a degree. Time to venture out and try a different profile and given it's fully washed I'll try something hotter and faster.
AntC1946

Post by AntC1946 »

Hi all,

My inaugural post.

Just starting my KL roasting career (8 roasts in), read this review and am about to do a "1200-1500 Rest" for 100g of this bean.

I found approx 250 g of this bean in the bottom of my bean drawer (I used the bulk of the 2.5k for a Behmor blend 6 months ago). I'll let you know how it goes - looking forward to the spicy endpoint!
AntC1946

Post by AntC1946 »

It's an interesting bean.

Roasted using 1200-1500m-Rest at level 3.0

Results :

Day 6 Brewed in La Pavoni drunk as a latte and it was a light brew - tasty but with no blueberry notes. Thinking of taste as music - all treble, very little base.

Day 7 Brewed in a Brazen pour over and drunk black. Light flavours, slight spicy aftertaste, Blueberry - not getting it. This could well be my tastebuds frazzled after Christmas!

Day 8 Brewed in Brazen again - drunk black. Flavours a bit deeper, spicy aftertaste but blueberry eluding me still.

All up - an enjoyable, light coffee. She-who-must-be-served-good-coffee was pleased with the results. I have another roast of the bean resting - this time roasted using 1200-1500m-Rest at level 3.3