Steve's Ultimate Profiles 100g - Constantly Declining Fan Profile (Fan Cal 0.91)

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
Mark

Re: Steve's Ultimate Profiles 100g - Constantly Declining Fan Profile (Fan Cal 0.91)

Post by Mark »

" just did another roast based on that profile , but turned my fan calibration down to .93 from .97 ( Steve's original was .91)"
I've just checked mine and it was set at.93 ... changed it to .91 ... and will try it again tomorrow with the same beans.

Cheers Mark
lukehk

Re: Steve's Ultimate Profiles 100g - Constantly Declining Fan Profile (Fan Cal 0.91)

Post by lukehk »

Sorry its taken a while to get this far. I was trying to get the PID to take over earlier but I was adjusting the preheat not the zone 1 setting. Anyway, going off Steve's original suggestion of 10-20 deg pre heat adjust and I changed the zone to finish at 55 sec I got the below log. Much better (not perfect by any means but much better) and I could taste it in the cup. Only made 1 V60 12 hrs after roasting but it had lost the harsh roast characteristic and was a much cleaner bright acidic cup ....Not as like clear as the same coffee on F4 but also with more punch and less chance of underdeveloped. Looking forward to seeing it over the week. So thanks.

Its a shame I am all out of that Kenyan. I was going to ask about how to improve the log from there but this discussion has already given me lots of ideas for the next coffee. You mentioned was it fresh, I guess so? arrived Sweet Maria's July. Actually, see the picture below the beans exploded even with my usual slow 9 minute profile. There was some mild scorching or tipping in the latest roast but it was ok in the cup. I don't know if this is typical of fresh Kenyan's or if this was due to defects (which I tried to pick out before) but it may have been a tricky coffee for this profile. It was super dense.... I will update when I try it with my next coffee.....Maybe the Ethiopia Sidama Shantawene Village
Log.JPG
Log.JPG (61.63 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
beans2.jpg
beans2.jpg (312.83 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

Playing around with extending MAI / overall length of roast with Brazil s / India for milk blend base.
Finding less is more with regards to time of initial power profiles, 40 to 45 sec seems to be working best allowing for more manipulation of the curve / slowing down through colour change, this is where the money is if you are looking for extra development without roasting super dark.

Screen shot and picture is a blend of 2 different Brazil naturals and 1 pulped natural all 3 are low grade commercial / blenders and the picture is before picking out any defects.

1250W for 40 sec then the rest of the curve speaks for itself.

BrazilBlend.JPG
BrazilBlend.JPG (93.56 KiB) Viewed 5123 times
BlendBrazil.jpg
BlendBrazil.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 5123 times
MD2.kpro
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thought I would try using the MD2 for the additions to the Brazil base blend and turns out its pretty versatile.

3 parts Brazil blend
2 parts CS Sulawesi Blue triple sort
1 part CS Yirgacheffe for a kicker roasted lighter

Brazil's roast level 4.9, low density, late crack 210, need more time / heat to develop.

Sulawesi roast level 4.0, wet hulled / moist cracked very early at 204, misbehaved a little but not enough fore me to care about in a blend.

Yirgacheffe roast level 1.4 just after end of first crack, cracked at the normal 207.

Straight shot is rich, sweet, thick body, a little spice from Sulawesi and hint of brightness from Yirgacheffe and goes great in milk.

Extremely happy with the roast quality the KL is capable of now, clean, defined flavours and plenty of body if the green allows it.

SulawesiBlue.JPG
SulawesiBlue.JPG (75.83 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
Yirg.JPG
Yirg.JPG (73.58 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
Sulawesi.klog
(74.48 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Yirg.klog
(68.06 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
fnq

Post by fnq »

Hi Steve

Are your first crack temps still taken from your modded sheathed probe ?

The blend sounds yum. What is your estimate for best rest time for optimal drinking. I have been chasing (grinding finer over time) some of my darker espresso roasts and don't know whether i should shelve for longer. This is one area that the small batch size sometimes catches me out.
Steve

Post by Steve »

fnq wrote: Sun 01 Nov, 2020 11:27 am Hi Steve

Are your first crack temps still taken from your modded sheathed probe ?

The blend sounds yum. What is your estimate for best rest time for optimal drinking. I have been chasing (grinding finer over time) some of my darker espresso roasts and don't know whether i should shelve for longer. This is one area that the small batch size sometimes catches me out.
Yeah still using 3mm probe, I think its an improvement particularly for batch to batch consistency. Not recommending people start chopping up their roasters though. If one was inclined to try something that could be a getting someone qualified to remove casing and pull the stock thermocouple back inside the sheath which has previously been suggested by Chris on forum.

Im finding this latest method / group of profiles to perform much like any other roasted coffee. Ive spent so much time testing different things for so long and that involves cupping at 24hrs and every day after ( brewing or otherwise) until its gone. If something tastes good right away or has potential i will knock out a couple replicas for longer term evaluation.

Im hoping to start building up some stocks because i find most coffees more enjoyable if bagged up undisturbed for 5 to 10 days depending on filter / espresso.

I try not to touch my grind setting unless absolutely neccessary. Dial in at 15 to 16g really fresh or few days off roast. As they age i tweak dose by 0.5 to 1.5g.
fnq

Post by fnq »

Thanks again. Cheers
Steve

Post by Steve »

Just an update this has become my preferred light filter / cupping roast, anything faster (over 1300W) I struggle with some astringency on most beans and its easy to overshoot and also get over developed flavours.
This 7:00 roast seems to be a sweet spot for a lot of washed beans and is giving more consistent results.

1300W starting power profile for 40 sec.

2:30 / 3:30 / 1:00 - 1:15

GuatFilter.JPG
GuatFilter.JPG (91.01 KiB) Viewed 5044 times
Filter.kpro
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
lukehk

Post by lukehk »

This is an Ethiopia Sidama Shantawene Village washed. Issue’s similar to my Kenyan before and Steve’s Ethiopia.
59.JPG
59.JPG (29.81 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
Log 59 started with changes to the original profile = 1200w preheat, Zone 1 = 40 seconds, Corner = .50 to 1.10.
60.JPG
60.JPG (36.89 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
Log 60 increase preheat by 20
61.JPG
61.JPG (31.7 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
Log 61 delayed the corner to try and deal with the overshoot after the corner…didn’t work at all, it missed the corner
63.JPG
63.JPG (29.69 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
63 set the corner back to the original start but extended it longer.

So 63 followed it best and it tasted best brewed 12 hrs later……looking forward to seeing how it (and 60) develop. However, it had the same preheat as 61 but was hotter from the start as 61. 62 I accidentally screwed up the roast on another profile for 63 was actually back to back from a previous roast.
Would doing a roast immediately before explain this higher log even though it’s the same preheat value? If so would it affect the roast negatively or is it ok this early?

I am unhappy with the ROR around first crack, seems to fluctuate more wildly, but I can not see anything in the log that would explain that as different from the other roasts apart from less heat in the throughout the earlier stages? Do you think it’s a problem.

Going forward what would be the next step to refine? With other profiles I have used I would think about the flavor descriptors from the green supplier and see how it tasted in relation to that. If I wanted to tame the acidity or try and get more sweetness I may extend the time after FC by 30 seconds but finish on the same temp by changing the actual profile a touch. Steve would you adjust the profile from here to get something different out of it or just experiment with the different levels. I can see how this profile is noticeably improved by following this curve and can punish you if you don't.... so have you found always following the profile as it is is best or would you adapt the profile to the bean and what you want out of it?

One final thing steve, your logs follow the curve from the first second. How is that? You have a higher preheat so I would have thought that would have meant it started higher?

Just saw your new profile. I noticed it’s a bit less aggressive. So you prefer that now to the CDFP
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hey Luke,

Yeah the updated filter profile is what keeps winning my cupping and makes a brilliant Clever dripper with a 4 min steep. I can say for certain the few roasts ive done producing a log that looks like that are great examples of coffee that is not baked.

Yes the slightly less aggressive start but using more power for a shorter period of time seems to be giving me more sweetness and clarity with no undesirable green astringency which I have a low tolerance for, some people may find the slight trade off of acidity for sweetness less preferable.

Im currently experimenting with how best to try and extend or get more development at the end of a roast using that latest filter roast? Im leaning towards increasing the ROR / curve more dramatically at around the 1:00 mark post first crack start.

The longer / darker profiles are definitely under developed somewhat at the start of roast then the extended development 2:30 - 3:00 really is just baking. But if you pull 1: 1.25 to 1.5 shots into milk a lot of people find it comfortable.

So to reiterate im currently interested in what happens by making the black power log line increase after the 1 min of first crack so that it will hit higher end temperatures much quicker, creating the reactions from hitting these higher temperatures but by doing it very quickly preserving some of the insides of beans / flavour. To do this the curve / ROR will need to be bent up significantly so that the PID keeps ramping the power / not baking the roast.

My lines will always be a bit different and smoother because of using 3mm sheathed probe.

Your last profile still looks very good even though the ROR is a bit wonky at the end, this is an artifact and I would not worry about it. I think the black power log line still looks good and this is more important than a few blips in the ROR generated from a bare thermocouple in a chaotic environment.

All the best