Steve's Ultimate Profiles 100g - Constantly Declining Fan Profile (Fan Cal 0.91)

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
Steve

Re: Steve's Ultimate Profiles 100g - Constantly Declining Fan Profile (Fan Cal 0.91)

Post by Steve »

It can be hard to determine what exactly causes tipping especially on natural or pulped Brazil.

Have a close look at the black power profile line on Luke's screen shots above. This line will never be as smooth as my examples because of the probe difference. Even so Luke's power profile looks quite different to the overall trend of yours which makes me think that fan calibration may need to be the same 0.91 if you want to use this fan profile.

The "Cupping" roast or very light filter roast I posted screenshot of in first post is tasting pretty amazing.
Using that same profile on a new washed Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and washed Colombian is not working and producing some green astringency / underdevelopment. The 1270W starts off under the profile line and shoots through the initial corner of the profile like Luke's Kenya above then slows down too late after yellow when the roast should not be slowing down. The initial response I had here and I am guessing others as well is to use less power so it follows the curve better. But what if it actually needs slightly more power say 1300W for a shorter amount of time like 45 seconds to 1:00 then hand over to PID. This initial faster rise to around 150C will allow the corner to be less sharp and slow down sooner producing a lower ROR going into and through colour change.

I have not tried it yet but these 2 screen shots illustrate what happened with Yirg and what I am thinking of trying. I really think the key is to not muck around getting to 150C so that the profile direction / ROR can be established well before colour change.
YirgUnderdone.JPG
YirgUnderdone.JPG (134.71 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
NewColom.JPG
NewColom.JPG (133.38 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Steve

Re: Steve's Ultimate Profiles 100g - Constantly Declining Fan Profile (Fan Cal 0.91)

Post by Steve »

Also if going under 1:00 for the power profile zone you will need to set the MAX pre heat time to 30 second so that there is no chance of interference if it is set at its default 1:00.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Thanks Steve

Next time I’ll try the 0.91 fan calibration, then will be comparing like for like.

Cheers
Steve

Post by Steve »

So here is what I ended up doing with the Colombian.

1320W for 45 sec
After the first try I "sharpened" up the point of the corner and used Luke's previous suggestion of using the corner function.
The point of the corner is at 1:20 so I made the "start corner" 1:05 and the "end corner 1:23" which worked very well! Thanks Luke.

Will have to see how this brews up over the next week but it already smells much better after grinding for cupping.
Colom.JPG
Colom.JPG (85 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
Mark

Post by Mark »

Here's my first use of Steve's DarkCDFP.
PNG Wahgi AA.
As can be seen it doesn't meet with the profile line until 3 minutes in.
I'm still trying to get my head around how to edit profiles (ie: struggling) would appreciate a few pointers .

Cheers Mark
Attachments
log0241.klog
(70.65 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.44.54 am.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.44.54 am.png (755.1 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
Mark

Post by Mark »

Here's the log for the same PNG Wahgi AA ... but I copied fnq's settings from his 0139 klog ... an improved start I think.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 11.24.45 am.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 11.24.45 am.png (785.1 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
fnq

Post by fnq »

Mark, you would have to be happy with that, my original copies went in too hot and fast also.

I just did another roast based on that profile , but turned my fan calibration down to .93 from .97 ( Steve's original was .91)

My log now mirrors the profile much better, but i still have some bumpiness in the power line, so may try .91.or at least monitor this over a couple of different beans.

As i was sitting watching the KL screen, i could tell the heating through the colouration phase was much more gradual, so am hoping for even further improvements in the cup.

I roasted some Brazil pulped beans with a version of this profile just to see if the lower grown, more moist? beans could handle it , and apart from some heavy smoke before first crack it appears like a good uniform roast i and weight loss was similar to other roast profiles. I will just have to wait a few days to taste.

Just to ensure credits go back to the original roaster,( and enable others to share also) these Profiles were basically Steve's DarkCDFP, with minor changes to allow for my environment/beans/style. Cheers Darryl
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

I wonder what would happen if a second power profile from around 3 minutes to end or near end of roast would work? It’s nearly a perfect straight line if bumps are ironed out, obviously one would need to take into account the slight inline.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Geronimo wrote: Thu 29 Oct, 2020 7:35 pm I wonder what would happen if a second power profile from around 3 minutes to end or near end of roast would work? It’s nearly a perfect straight line if bumps are ironed out, obviously one would need to take into account the slight inline.
Tried it heaps....its a crap shoot and you will waste heaps of coffee in process, the PID does very very good job IF we set it up for success at the start.

Looks like some progress being made figuring out different starting power profiles for different beans, good stuff!
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Steve

Ok, makes sense it would be a crap shoot.

Cheers