Kaffelogic Modding - Clear Lid

Have you discovered a good way to do something with your Kaffelogic? Share it here.
kudoze

Re: Kaffelogic Modding - Clear Lid

Post by kudoze »

Geronimo wrote: Thu 17 Sep, 2020 7:39 am
kudoze wrote: Thu 17 Sep, 2020 12:14 am Mostly with milk, but sometimes just as a straight espresso.

I did use an extension cord actually - a heavy duty builders one. Had a mains voltage of 237.78w
No power issues/flat lining - maintained profile all the way through.
That’s fantastic with respect to voltage. Have you tried Damians D-Roast profile? It does need 240 volts ideally but with a tweak to the fan speed profile you could get it working on your voltage. Be interesting to see what you think. Steve who has roasted thousands of roasts, has said in the comments on the profile, that it is a very good profile with great results if you have the voltage. I like Damians philosophy on how he devised the profile.

As an aside, having to wait a week before Petri dishes turn up. Can’t wait to try your great idea. I haven’t thanked you for passing this idea on to us. It’s a big thank you from me. I think it is going to be very helpful, as every time I lift the current lid the curve deviates slightly, so just from that perspective will be of benefit.

Cheers
I've downloaded Damian's D-Roast profile. Yet to try it though.
I've got a Ceado E5SD on back-order with JetBlack, so hanging out until i get a proper single doser before I start really going to town. Also waiting for a few more 250g airscape containers...

Honestly no need to thank me - it's a very small idea. Also just with your Petri Dish - I was thinking, sometimes the stuff you buy on ebay can be "fake", so just be careful that the seller is actually reputable. Definitely don't want something that isn't really borosilicate glass. I bought mine from a Lab supply company in Australia (Medisa to be exact) to be certain i was getting high quality glass.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Geronimo wrote: Wed 16 Sep, 2020 9:34 pm Thanks Ben. Will see how this clever Petri dish idea turns out first, as seems like a very cost effective method. I must admit the torch is the expensive bit.
Of course it's nice to be able to change the light temperature and also have a light source with a high colour rendering index (Ra). I don't think this is absolutely necessary to be able to see the colour change from the drying phase to the second phase. I think a good LED torch with a focused light will suffice and it doesn't need to be expensive either. I do already have a torch that I'm quite sure will function well for this purpose.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

kudoze wrote: Thu 17 Sep, 2020 9:55 am Also just with your Petri Dish - I was thinking, sometimes the stuff you buy on ebay can be "fake", so just be careful that the seller is actually reputable. Definitely don't want something that isn't really borosilicate glass. I bought mine from a Lab supply company in Australia (Medisa to be exact) to be certain i was getting high quality glass.
Coming from InterLab in Wellington, and have purchased stuff from them before. Stock is arriving next week in a container, thus the delay. I said to guy who measured up the inside diameter, that you’ll probably be getting a few orders.

Here’s link in case anyone else is interested that is reading this. And anyone in Wellington can order and collect in person if they want.

https://www.interlab.co.nz/100mm-glass- ... tri%20dish
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Thu 17 Sep, 2020 10:14 am Of course it's nice to be able to change the light temperature and also have a light source with a high colour rendering index (Ra). I don't think this is absolutely necessary to be able to see the colour change from the drying phase to the second phase. I think a good LED torch with a focused light will suffice and it doesn't need to be expensive either. I do already have a torch that I'm quite sure will function well for this purpose.
I’ve got a couple of the grunty “LED Lenser” German brand torch and headlamp. I’ve had for many years. Many shooters attach the model I have to the top of rifle scope as they are that good, and small in a lightweight aluminium casing. (Bit of an over detail ramble there).
kudoze

Post by kudoze »

Geronimo wrote: Thu 17 Sep, 2020 7:39 am
kudoze wrote: Thu 17 Sep, 2020 12:14 am Mostly with milk, but sometimes just as a straight espresso.

I did use an extension cord actually - a heavy duty builders one. Had a mains voltage of 237.78w
No power issues/flat lining - maintained profile all the way through.
That’s fantastic with respect to voltage. Have you tried Damians D-Roast profile? It does need 240 volts ideally but with a tweak to the fan speed profile you could get it working on your voltage. Be interesting to see what you think. Steve who has roasted thousands of roasts, has said in the comments on the profile, that it is a very good profile with great results if you have the voltage. I like Damians philosophy on how he devised the profile.

As an aside, having to wait a week before Petri dishes turn up. Can’t wait to try your great idea. I haven’t thanked you for passing this idea on to us. It’s a big thank you from me. I think it is going to be very helpful, as every time I lift the current lid the curve deviates slightly, so just from that perspective will be of benefit.

Cheers
Hey Geronimo - getting back to your recommendation of trying the D-Roast.
Just had a crack at it...
Seemed to handle it ok... though was chasing the profile a little bit.
Dropped at L4.2
d-roast log.JPG
d-roast log.JPG (134.44 KiB) Viewed 7417 times
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

kudoze wrote: Thu 17 Sep, 2020 7:23 pm
Hey Geronimo - getting back to your recommendation of trying the D-Roast.
Dropped at L4.2

d-roast log.JPG
Interesting. I could be wrong but I would have expected your FC earlier and fits in with what looks like the dreaded flick and crash just before 9 minutes on the RoR curve (which can, but not necessarily result in baked coffee).

The good thing is you didn’t run out of power which most of us tend to do on lesser voltages. As a comparison I get FC at around 8’50” plus or minus a bit at around 210°C, but my fan profile is lowered slightly to get in under my power limitations.

It’s going to be really interesting to know what it tastes like.

Cheers
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

Mirror
There is a small problem when the KL is below the kitchen hood as it's so tall when you use the clear glass lid. It's difficult or almost impossible to watch the roasting chamber. This is easily solved by using a mirror and direct the torch light against the mirror in the same direction as you view.
kudoze

Post by kudoze »

nrdlnd wrote: Thu 17 Sep, 2020 10:37 pm Mirror
There is a small problem when the KL is below the kitchen hood as it's so tall when you use the clear glass lid. It's difficult or almost impossible to watch the roasting chamber. This is easily solved by using a mirror and direct the torch light against the mirror in the same direction as you view.
nice idea nrdlnd.

One thing i have noticed standing over the roaster while using the glass petri dish lid (even when using it outside), is that the smoke soaks into your clothes. A mirror would definitely help with that.

Maybe something with a clip like the one below...
mirror.jpg
mirror.jpg (66.32 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

nrdlnd wrote: Thu 17 Sep, 2020 10:37 pm Mirror
That was a timely post, as was going to give this halogen lamp to hospice shop in the weekend. I could get a cheap mirror from Kmart and fix to the lamp stand. (Hopefully). I wouldn't use the light, just the torch.
Last edited by Geronimo on Mon 21 Sep, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

kudoze wrote: Thu 17 Sep, 2020 7:23 pm Hey Geronimo - getting back to your recommendation of trying the D-Roast.
Dropped at L4.2

d-roast log.JPG
Hi again, For comparison purposes, Ive just roasted a Colombia Excelso, using a modified version of D-Roast (fan profile speed reduced at the end), and for some reason was only a development time of 21% as previous roast was 23% for same beans, and could be to do with it being cooler, as have to do it out side in carport, as it stinks the kitchen out even under an extractor, which to be honest is a bit crap.

Notice my FC is quite a bit earlier than yours, noting my timing starts after 3 cracks of beans.

Cheers
D-Roast modified fan
D-Roast modified fan
A2813381-11BC-45AA-B37A-D904066AEEB7_1_201_a.jpeg (118.57 KiB) Viewed 7385 times