Kaffelogic Modding - Clear Lid

Have you discovered a good way to do something with your Kaffelogic? Share it here.
BenN

Re: Kaffelogic Modding - Clear Lid

Post by BenN »

Good idea. You might be interested in this thread in too.
https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... ?f=6&t=124

There is a size spec from Chris on 2nd last post on page 1.
Ben
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

BenN wrote: Wed 16 Sep, 2020 8:41 pm Good idea. You might be interested in this thread in too.

Hi Ben

How is your glass chimney going? Out of interest where did you get yours from? GlassLab or Otago Uni, or someone else? And roughly what price?

Cheers
kudoze

Post by kudoze »

BenN wrote: Wed 16 Sep, 2020 8:41 pm Good idea. You might be interested in this thread in too.

thanks for sharing BenN - wasn't aware of that thread.
wow - you've gone to a lot of effort there. Nice work.

$5 borosilicate glass petri dish, and i'm done :)
BenN

Post by BenN »

Geronimo wrote: Wed 16 Sep, 2020 9:22 pm

Hi Ben

How is your glass chimney going? Out of interest where did you get yours from? GlassLab or Otago Uni, or someone else? And roughly what price?

Cheers
I've got ,mine form Otago Uni. I ordered longer one but if you stick to Chris's spec you can just replace inner tube. credit goes to Damian ;)
Ben
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Thanks Ben. Will see how this clever Petri dish idea turns out first, as seems like a very cost effective method. I must admit the torch is the expensive bit.

Cheers
Last edited by Geronimo on Wed 16 Sep, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kudoze

Post by kudoze »

Geronimo wrote: Wed 16 Sep, 2020 10:30 am
Hi

Forgot to mention, I watched video thanks. Looks good literally. How far into the roast was this?

I think lab supplies are going to get a rush of Petri dish orders from your post.

I’ve got a couple of LED Lenser hand/head mounted torchs which are blindingly bright, which would do the job nicely for colour change monitoring. Just don’t have the temperature adjustment like yours.

Cheers
Geronimo - this was about 3.30ish minutes into the roast. I've created a profile called "DarkSlow" which basically hits a 40-40-20 ratio over 12 minutes for a Level 4.2-4.6 roast (medium-dark).
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

kudoze wrote: Wed 16 Sep, 2020 9:37 pm
Geronimo - this was about 3.30ish minutes into the roast. I've created a profile called "DarkSlow" which basically hits a 40-40-20 ratio over 12 minutes for a Level 4.2-4.6 roast (medium-dark).
Very nice. To go with milk I’m guessing?

How is your power supply, as I think in your photo you have an extension cord. Do you have any issues with the power curve flat lining near end of roast?

Cheers
kudoze

Post by kudoze »

Mostly with milk, but sometimes just as a straight espresso.

I did use an extension cord actually - a heavy duty builders one. Had a mains voltage of 237.78w
No power issues/flat lining - maintained profile all the way through.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

kudoze wrote: Thu 17 Sep, 2020 12:14 am Mostly with milk, but sometimes just as a straight espresso.

I did use an extension cord actually - a heavy duty builders one. Had a mains voltage of 237.78w
No power issues/flat lining - maintained profile all the way through.
That’s fantastic with respect to voltage. Have you tried Damians D-Roast profile? It does need 240 volts ideally but with a tweak to the fan speed profile you could get it working on your voltage. Be interesting to see what you think. Steve who has roasted thousands of roasts, has said in the comments on the profile, that it is a very good profile with great results if you have the voltage. I like Damians philosophy on how he devised the profile.

As an aside, having to wait a week before Petri dishes turn up. Can’t wait to try your great idea. I haven’t thanked you for passing this idea on to us. It’s a big thank you from me. I think it is going to be very helpful, as every time I lift the current lid the curve deviates slightly, so just from that perspective will be of benefit.

Cheers
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

kudoze wrote: Wed 16 Sep, 2020 12:37 pm
nrdlnd wrote: Wed 16 Sep, 2020 9:58 am I have ordered a couple of 100 mm Petri dishes with lid in borosilicate on ebay. Both dish and lid can be used I suppose.
Thank you again!
Hi nrdlnd - the lid on the dish is slightly too small. So just the dish will fit.bummer I know!
I don't feel like a "bummer". I guess the lids (not the dish) will fit. The price for the dish including lid was really low and also the freight cost. I ordered two so I will have one lid in reserve anyway if the dishes don't fit.