Roast volume and setting level

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
BenN

Roast volume and setting level

Post by BenN »

Hi there
I'm a beginner to the coffee roasting. I may askng a lot's of quite basic questions Pls, help me learn this fantastic practice.

I do espresso and pour-over for most of my brewing.

Now...
With Nano 7, it stated 50g to 120g batch is capable range. With the standard profile with same level setting is it give me a same result regard less of input volume say 50g and 100g of same variety green coffee.
or Should I compensate with level to down for lower volume?

Thanks

PS. I've done first roast with "Bland K" with plain standard setting, Good result , tad darker to my taste as I like light to mid-light roast. See how it develop over the few days rest.
[Edit] much better in second day, stored in air tight jar. I did 10g + 160ml pour-over with single mesh metal filter, this time. Good body and sweetness and balance. Definitely, there was more depth to it,
Ben
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Roast volume and setting level

Post by kaffelogic »

With a Kaffelogic Nano you control both temperature and fan speed. The default profile has fan speed settings that work for 120g of green beans. These settings will generally work for less than 120g, usually you can go as low as 90g without any need to change the profile. If you want to roast smaller than 90g batches, you will need to customise the profile to use lower fan speed and lower power. In this way you can go down to 60g batch size. If you want more detailed help with this, please ask.

Thanks for letting us know how you are going with brewing and experimenting. We look forward to further updates from you.
BenN

Post by BenN »

Thanks, Good to know. My default volume will be 100g in so easily standardise for measuring and check output.

Fist batch get 100g in and 82.1g out and 2nd day was way better than 1st day for taste. 3rd day the bitterness get more evident than yesterday but more close taste to first day with mode body so still experimenting on that to see how it changes, Very interesting experiment,

Second bath I did with Brazil beans with Firestater set to level 3 as I like lighter roast. See how it develop on tomorrow morning,
Ben
BenN

Post by BenN »

I think second day was better taste for blend K but could be brewing technique contributed to. It still degassing quite bit and quite strong aroma when open the jar.

Brazil I did with "firestater with modified fan speed as suggested on other thread" and I stopped at level 3. I may logged the first clack too early and end it to bit quicker at 25%DTR. More to learn things in here.

I like this mid-light to mid level of roast. It was good result with overnight rest and pour-over technique. I will see how it develop for next few days.
Aroma for this was not too storing on first but it getting quite present aroma on next morning.

All I'm doing is 100g green beans to roast. Brazil gets 87.1g out after completion.
Last edited by BenN on Wed 12 Jun, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
Angela

Post by Angela »

BenN wrote: Fri 31 May, 2019 3:56 pm [snip]... with modified fun speed [/snip]...
And where can I get that in New Zealand?
BenN

Post by BenN »

Angela wrote: Tue 04 Jun, 2019 2:03 am [And where can I get that in New Zealand?
Not the physical modify but it's a tweak on the profile .
Ben
Angela

Post by Angela »

BenN wrote: Tue 04 Jun, 2019 7:42 am
Angela wrote: Tue 04 Jun, 2019 2:03 am [And where can I get that in New Zealand?
Not the physical modify but it's a tweak on the profile .
I was attempting humour; I failed miserably, I see. :oops:
BenN

Post by BenN »

lol, huge typo... :oops:
Ben