Steve's Current Profiles 100g MAX

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
mr. bean

Re: Steve's Current Profiles 100g MAX

Post by mr. bean »

Thanks for sharing Steve.

Btw, what is your fan calibration setting? I was experimenting with D-Roast the other night (Damien's profile I think, but similar fan speeds as yours). I noticed if I set my fan calibration to .90, it easily ran D-roast right up to 4.3. When i had it at 0.94 it maxed out around 10:40 (once it was trying to push past 224deg)
(I've had my calibration at .96 - .98 recently with the profiles using standard fan. Juries still out as to whether it's improving things.)

It would be interesting to know how increasing the fan calibration on the standard fan profile relates to increasing the actual fan profile.
i.e. does 14500 with calibration set to .98 = 15500 with calibration set to .90?? (Chris and Wayne feel free to comment!)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Interesting question!
Mine is set at .92
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Steve wrote: Tue 25 Aug, 2020 10:18 am Interesting question!
Mine is set at .92
Hi Steve

How much agitation of beans do you get at start of roast with no fan mod at your 0.92 setting?

Cheers
Steve

Post by Steve »

Not enough, I would call it bare minimum fluidisation if at all, it kind of just very slowly bubbles up from the sides, it eventually gets moving ok 1:30 - 2:00 which is too late when ramping the temp so quick.

Call it "roasters intuition" from 10000+ roasts since i got the bug in 2012.
Pop corn popper, dog bowl + heat gun, fully modded corretto, behmor, modified Quest M3 and currently modified Kaldi 400g direct flame gas roaster.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Steve wrote: Tue 25 Aug, 2020 12:50 pm Not enough, I would call it bare minimum fluidisation if at all, it kind of just very slowly bubbles up from the sides, it eventually gets moving ok 1:30 - 2:00 which is too late when ramping the temp so quick.

Call it "roasters intuition" from 10000+ roasts since i got the bug in 2012.
Pop corn popper, dog bowl + heat gun, fully modded corretto, behmor, modified Quest M3 and currently modified Kaldi 400g direct flame gas roaster.
Impressed and very jealous reading your roasting CV. Your our go to encyclopaedia on practical roasting.

Thanks again for feedback on fluidisation.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Both the previous profiles are a bit flat. The Filter is underdeveloped / a bit vegetal but otherwise ok and this can be fixed by extending DEV like with the Espresso roast but this is just baking the finish to fix a problem.

The following is where I have evolved to with the 2019 Ethiopia Yirg natural. This is the best roast I have had so far from anything I have done on any roaster.. in particular an Ethiopian natural. Vibrant and sweet displaying clearly what the beans have to offer, 95% sure this is not baked at all, it has a long complex but clean finish.

I keep coming back to this style of Fan Profile, keeping it simple seems to be the key and this sits as a good compromise with the Classic fan profile and power requirements.

Note the faster and non declining ROR!
If you want a more developed roast for espresso just extend DEV until you run out of power.. or make the ROR increase very slightly after first crack is done so that you hit the higher temperature. I am seriously done with long DEV time, its just baking out the goodness and really is not necessary for proper development. Hitting the final end temperature which produces your flavour preference appears far more important than dragging out the time.

Filter3Fanprofile.JPG
Filter3Fanprofile.JPG (63.62 KiB) Viewed 5790 times
EthNatFilter.JPG
EthNatFilter.JPG (97.15 KiB) Viewed 5790 times
EthNatFilter3.JPG
EthNatFilter3.JPG (137.55 KiB) Viewed 5790 times
[attachment=0]Filter3.kpro[/attachment
Attachments
Filter3.kpro
(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Matt S

Post by Matt S »

Thanks for the update Steve. Coincidentally I tasted a Burundi coffee this morning (day 8 after roasting) that I roasted using your earlier filter profile in this thread and it was tasting a little grassy and underdeveloped. Interestingly I wasn’t tasting as much vegetal/grassiness when I had tasted it on days 3 and 5.

I am keen to give the updated version a go. I’ll let you know how it goes!
Steve

Post by Steve »

msakaris wrote: Mon 31 Aug, 2020 3:30 pm Thanks for the update Steve. Coincidentally I tasted a Burundi coffee this morning (day 8 after roasting) that I roasted using your earlier filter profile in this thread and it was tasting a little grassy and underdeveloped. Interestingly I wasn’t tasting as much vegetal/grassiness when I had tasted it on days 3 and 5.

I am keen to give the updated version a go. I’ll let you know how it goes!
Awesome! Your feedback confirms my findings which is very helpful.
I am hoping this one holds up over 10 to 14 days, trying not to get my hopes up too much but it keeps winning the daily blind cupping.
Steve

Post by Steve »

The Filter3 using Ethiopian natural has been quite drinkable still a bit of a mix of under done / over done, aromatics were really good though and persistent.

Back to using a fresh washed Ethiopian and really pushing the early development, coupled with a much shorter MAI producing more of what I am looking for in a filter or cupping roast. Unfortunately it may not be within everyone's power availability because of the fan profile. This is just what I have found is needed for proper overall roast development, to produce simple sucrose sweetness, great aromatics, bright well developed fruit acids and a clean transparent cup. MAI intervals over 2:30 seem to start producing more savoury / meaty flavours with a very fast start roast and risk the power profile dropping off baking and or under developing.

The power profile here really keeps the pedal to the floor up until browning is well under way, about 200C / 4:00 and then tapers off gently while increasing slightly through first crack (not dropping off a cliff and baking the roast).

If you have the power available push the roast to level 2.0 - 2.2 and this works for a more developed espresso roast. However, even at 1.3 the roast is so well developed that it can be used for super light espresso if you have some pressure profiling capabilities, Decent Espresso light roast users might be interested in this one.

Possibly my final thoughts here as I am pretty satisfied with how this short fast roast is tasting.

Assuming you have the power available, for a more traditional espresso roast which is not baked or overdeveloped into oblivion, "Droast" is a clear winner. It ticks all the boxes, good aromatics, full sweetness, good body with balanced acidity, long clean-ish aftertaste depending on roast level and works well with all sorts of pre-blends.

For something with a touch more pop to it and lower power requirements / lower Fan RPM, the modified Ninja profiles are the way to go and work really well for espresso.

The following is "Filter4"

F4fanprofile.JPG
F4fanprofile.JPG (64.97 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
F4WashedEth.JPG
F4WashedEth.JPG (97.61 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
WashedEth1.3.JPG
WashedEth1.3.JPG (82.91 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
WashedEth2.0.JPG
WashedEth2.0.JPG (82.33 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
Filter4.kpro
(2.04 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

A few very slight tweaks to curve and increase roast level to 1.5.
Washed Ethiopian, Getting some very very sweet clean filter brews.

EDIT: very clean yes but also not much structure to them, thin and wispy comes to mind. As this has aged my drum roast has taken over big time. Basically the KL roast is like a husk of the drum roast, all upfront then nothing = no structure.

Starting over....see here https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewto ... 1544#p1544

Filter4Tweaked.JPG
Filter4Tweaked.JPG (89.95 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
F4WashedEthTweaked.klog
(60.66 KiB) Downloaded 262 times