Adjusting Cooling Fan Speed

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
PQRS

Adjusting Cooling Fan Speed

Post by PQRS »

Hi Chris,
I am finding that with the the standard profile a few beans (10g if I start with 120g) end up in the chaff collector. I can see them exit during the start of the cooling phase. Can you post on how to reduce the initial cooling fan speed to prevent this. I might be struggling because of the issues I have with my flash drive.
Paul
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Adjusting Cooling Fan Speed

Post by kaffelogic »

The settings that you need to change are cooldown_hi_speed and maybe cooldown_lo_speed
cooldown_speeds.png
cooldown_speeds.png (22.45 KiB) Viewed 8596 times
Cooldown hi speed is the initial fan speed, and cooldown lo speed is the speed it switches to once temperature drops below 100 deg C.
We have another user who said
I changed the fan speeds to 16100 and 15600 to achieve quick cool down without blowing beans into the chaff collector.
Long term we are working on a system for better calibration of fan speed and will make it available to users as a firmware upgrade. Meanwhile you may have to experiment a bit with the numbers to get the best results. Please let us know how it goes.
VladP

Post by VladP »

Guys,

the cooling fan speed settings have no impact on the real (shown) fan speed despite the configuration values within the profile. The fan speed is constant 15.500....

I am using Studio 6.1.4 for Mac and Nano 7 Firmware 7.10.6.

Any advice?
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

kaffelogic wrote: Sun 10 Mar, 2019 12:31 pm The settings that you need to change are cooldown_hi_speed and maybe cooldown_lo_speed
cooldown_speeds.png
Cooldown hi speed is the initial fan speed, and cooldown lo speed is the speed it switches to once temperature drops below 100 deg C.
We have another user who said
I changed the fan speeds to 16100 and 15600 to achieve quick cool down without blowing beans into the chaff collector.
Long term we are working on a system for better calibration of fan speed and will make it available to users as a firmware upgrade. Meanwhile you may have to experiment a bit with the numbers to get the best results. Please let us know how it goes.
Hi

This did not work for me. I Changed the Ninja Turtle to 16000, and actually ran at 17000. I double checked profile after running the first time, and definitely said 16000 for initial cooldown. Ran again, and again still actually ran at 17000.

I'm getting just over 6% of my dry weight of beans in the chaff collector, which is very frustrating not only from a messy chaff situation when windy trying to retrieve, but also don't appear to cool at the same rate as the other beans.

Can you check why this might be please. I'm not the only person who has changed as recommended above, and not worked.

Thanks
G
Caffiend

Post by Caffiend »

Curious if anyone has come up with a fix for the bean carryover? Using the Ninja Turtle profile with Colombian Supremo Beans. Reduced Cool-down hi fan speed to 15000rpm and Cool-down Lo fan speed to 14000rpm.

Haven’t checked actual speed - not sure how to in Studio for the cool-down fan speed.
Still getting carryover beans.

How low a speed would you go? I understand the need to cool, so down want to reduce this speed too much without guidance.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
discoaus

Post by discoaus »

I believe, and I am unsure if this has been mentioned in another post. Once you roast batches over 140 or 150g the minimum rpm on cool-down hi is 15,500rpms. I did question this variable when beta testing the chaff collector with the boost kit, and it seems that it needs to be set higher for the bean rolling to continue to occur. I am unsure if they have tested lower speeds and this is the reason for it
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

discoaus wrote: Wed 26 Jul, 2023 12:52 am I believe, and I am unsure if this has been mentioned in another post. Once you roast batches over 140 or 150g the minimum rpm on cool-down hi is 15,500rpms. I did question this variable when beta testing the chaff collector with the boost kit, and it seems that it needs to be set higher for the bean rolling to continue to occur. I am unsure if they have tested lower speeds and this is the reason for it
Hi

Who designed the actual chaff collector/Boost, as it certainly isn’t up to spec in conjunction with the Boost and software, and appears insufficient testing with existing Kaffelogic released profiles. Has Chris stood back somewhat on this round of development?

The roast profile curves are very rough at higher weights ( Tried up to 160 grams). I don’t know if it’s the increased air flow or what over the probe, causing the PID controller to react more causing very jittery curves. I’ve gone back to 110 grams, it still not as good as the original chaff collector at this stage.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
G
discoaus

Post by discoaus »

No idea who created and whether he’s stood back or not so can’t answer that. But like you mentioned, I roast upto 150-160g, anything higher is inconsistent or too much. The unit just isn’t big enough to handle the bigger size. So as much as they claim it can roast upto 200g green, it just isn’t ideal in all cases. Yes, doable of course, but not great. It was designed as a sample roaster initially, so that 100-120g is where it excels. They are just trying to cater for bigger roast batches to bridge the gap in the market so they don’t lose out on all customers. I do love the KL, it serves a good purpose for me, but time will come when I will upgrade to something more commercial like the allio bullet, so I can churn out bigger batches at a time ( I roast for my mum and partner) and I struggle to even consider roasting for friends when they’ve asked, as much as I’d love to
qik_shift

Post by qik_shift »

I have a 200g batch nailed down quite well now, but struggling with cooling fan speeds too. I'm trying to lock the cool speed to 16,500 but the machine seems to completely override my setting and go to a lower ~16200. Problem with this speed is that the beans as they cool are not churning in the chamber, which results in uneven cooling.

Can somebody help?
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Has anyone been able to slow the cool down fan speed ? It seems as though the cool down fan speed setting in the studio has no affect. It's as though the transition from profile to cool down in the software is not smooth. Perhaps if the profile could include the cool down also?? If there are no fixes to this problem, has anyone reverted to the original setting thus no boost kit?