3.1.1 Linux feedback

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: 3.1.1 Linux feedback

Post by kaffelogic »

Glad you finally got it working. The problem with the binaries might be that they omit a required binary, perhaps GTK. The underlying problem seems to some sort of bug in the wxPython spinner code. It might be amenable to further debugging, it might be possible to sort it by including the appropriate binary, and it might just be a matter of waiting until the port to wxPython 4. Meantime, at least you have something that works.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Further research has revealed that the GTK issue is probably not anything to do with wx itself, but an actual GTK issue. The problem may be solvable by packaging the specific GTK binaries that actually work using a tool like https://libraries.io/pypi/staticx. Then again, the problem may be more related to the specific Ubuntu version in use, in which case I would have less of an idea of how to go forward. For the time being I am going to leave this issue in this state: known to work under Ubuntu 18, mileage may vary under Ubuntu 19.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Re 3.2.0

I previously posted I'm using Ubuntu 19.04. I noticed today that on login there is a choice of screen compositor to use for the session; Wayland or Ubuntu.

I had been using Wayland forever since initial installation. Out of nothing more than idle curiosity I switched.

I am happy to report that editing profiles whilst getting immediate positional feedback from the screen now appears to work!
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Thanks for the info Angela. I will update the Linux page to advise that it is expected to work with Ubuntu 19 if one avoids the Wayland screen compositor. Presumably wxPython3 and Wayland do not play together nicely.