Just another Heat too slow error...

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Wispy

Just another Heat too slow error...

Post by Wispy »

Machine is 18 months old. Used 3 times/week. Just got Heat too slow error last week. Updated firmware but didn't fix the problem.

Contacted retailer (Alternative Brewing) and they informed me I have to pay for repairs since it's out of warranty.

Not happy. Clearly a manufacturing issue. For a comparison, I have a grinder that gearbox stripped. It was outside the warranty period but a known issue to the manufacture. They sent me a new gearbox free of charge.

Anyway, I have asked them to contact Kaffelogic (or the distributor) to see if they will fix it or send me a new heating element for free.

Will post back here.
Wispy

Re: Just another Heat too slow error...

Post by Wispy »

Retailer told me they contacted Kaffelogic to see if they would cover the costs of repair. They refused.

The heating element has fused.
IMG_20230524_095618_176.jpg
IMG_20230524_095618_176.jpg (5.11 MiB) Viewed 1590 times

It looks like it was caused by faulty assembly in that the red wire to the element was touching the fan spindle which has ground away the insulation causing the short.

IMG_20230524_094327_192.jpg
IMG_20230524_094327_192.jpg (6.15 MiB) Viewed 1590 times
IMG_20230524_094313_590.jpg
IMG_20230524_094313_590.jpg (6.3 MiB) Viewed 1590 times

I'm no expert but the issue seems like a manufacturing fault to me.

Easy fix if you're stuck in the same position. Just replace the element and make sure you move the red wire away from the centre of the element before reassembly of the replacement element.

I just followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfxt00Ajcg0

Would I recommend Kaffelogic to a friend? Nope. Very expensive and terrible reliability and support.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Wispy wrote: Wed 24 May, 2023 12:20 pm
I'm no expert but the issue seems like a manufacturing fault to me.

Easy fix if you're stuck in the same position. Just replace the element and make sure you move the red wire away from the centre of the element before reassembly of the replacement element.

I just followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfxt00Ajcg0

Would I recommend Kaffelogic to a friend? Nope. Very expensive and terrible reliability and support.
Hi

Where did you find another heating element?

Cheers
G
Wispy

Post by Wispy »

New element is coming directly from Kaffelogic in New Zealand.

After dismantling the machine and sending photos to the retailer, the retailer sent them on to Kaffelogic support to see how they could help.

In response, Kaffelogic offered to repair the machine for free, despite it being out of warranty, and offered to pay and arrange for a courier to collect and transport to NZ and back to Aus. Nice.

Subsequently, Steve from support made a big effort to contact me (not easy). We eventually spoke over the phone and for me, I thought it would be easier and quicker for Kaffelogic to send the part to me to fit myself. Steve agreed to send a new element over and even checked to see if my machine needed any upgrades that they would normally do when servicing the machine (it did not).

Once the new element is fitted, the machine needs recalibrating, and fitting the new element, special attention needs to be given to making sure an insulation paper is sitting correctly.

Steve emailed a manual to me with pictures and instructions detailing how to fit the element and recalibrate the machine. Looks straightforward.

As for the reason for the fault, due to recent gov work restrictions creating worldwide supply chain issues, Kaffelegic was forced to use a different supplier and element. They now no longer use that temporary supplier so there should be no more further issues.

My suggestion is that if you experience this issue, get in contact with Kaffelogic directly.

Would I now recommend one of the machines to a friend? Yes. Ideally it wouldn't have broken down but given the unusual conditions, no issue for me. Support was good, acknowledged the issue (which given the circumstances was quite understandable) and worked hard to fix it - at no financial expense to me, despite being out of warranty.

I'm happy they agreed to send me the element as it's so much quicker and easier (and better for the environment).
Mikk

Post by Mikk »

Wispy, is there any chance you could forward me the manual/calibration details regarding replacing the heater element?
I tried to PM you, however the message shows as unsent.
Thanks.