Firestarter

Start a new topic for a new roast profile. Reply to an existing topic to enter your comments on the profile, or to attach minor variants.
SeanBrews

Re: Firestarter

Post by SeanBrews »

Hi All,

We have some beta values for the PID control on the roaster with the older core profiles that can help reduce thermal runaway. For this you will need to open up Studio and plug your roaster/USB into your computer. These values will need to be changed on every profile that is experiencing thermal runaway, as the changes are on a per-profile basis and not a collective change. I would recommend only changing these values if nothing else it solving the issue. And a note that these are beta test values, so if you do run into any issues please let us know.

In Studio:
1. Go to Options > Difficulty > Engineer.
2. Open the profile you want to stop thermal runaway on.
3. Open the Profile settings tab.
4. Make the following changes:

Change 'roast PID Kp' to 1.15
Change 'roast PID Kd' to 2
Change 'specific heat adj multiplier Kp' to 1.75
Change 'specific heat adj multiplier Kd' to 6

5. Save the profile, either save over it or save as a new profile.
6. Let your roaster re-sync/return the USB to the roaster.
7. Load a different profile, then load the PID tuned profile and try another roast.

Hope this helps with your roasts, please let us know if you have any issues.
Virterm

Post by Virterm »

ecelis wrote: Mon 17 Apr, 2023 7:03 am Just tried this profile with 100g of Kenya Kiruga (from Sweet Maria's) at a L3.0 using a US KL roaster (110-120V). Color seems a little too dark for a medium roast. Roast lasted 9:03 min hot and 3:50 min cool. Will try it with my Decent Espresso machine in a couple of days.
Did you like them? What’s the verdict?
Valentine81

Post by Valentine81 »

SeanBrews wrote: Wed 24 Jan, 2024 10:20 am Hi All,

We have some beta values for the PID control on the roaster with the older core profiles that can help reduce thermal runaway. For this you will need to open up Studio and plug your roaster/USB into your computer. These values will need to be changed on every profile that is experiencing thermal runaway, as the changes are on a per-profile basis and not a collective change. I would recommend only changing these values if nothing else it solving the issue. And a note that these are beta test values, so if you do run into any issues please let us know.

In Studio:
1. Go to Options > Difficulty > Engineer.
2. Open the profile you want to stop thermal runaway on.
3. Open the Profile settings tab.
4. Make the following changes:

Change 'roast PID Kp' to 1.15

5. Save the profile, either save over it or save as a new profile.
6. Let your roaster re-sync/return the USB to the roaster.
7. Load a different profile, then load the PID tuned profile and try another roast.

Hope this helps with your roasts, please let us know if you have any issues.
Hello Sean,
thank you for your help, I just make a roast with your suggested settings, the curve is better than my old roast, now I have to wait 5-7 days resting and degass coffee before I'll taste of the roast. I will post the results of the coffee taste, thanks everybody for the tips!
beantacos

Post by beantacos »

SeanBrews wrote: Wed 24 Jan, 2024 10:20 am Change 'roast PID Kp' to 1.15
Hi SeanBrews, what do these settings do? This will be helpful as I modify other profiles. Thanks!