Boost kit for Smaller batch size of 50 grs?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
HollyBean333

Boost kit for Smaller batch size of 50 grs?

Post by HollyBean333 »

Hello, I am a beginner roaster and I bought the boost kit thinking it was the tool that would allow me to roast smaller amounts of coffee as it is promoted by the distributor in Europe (I am interested in experimenting with different profiles for a permanent batch size of 50g). However, when I received it, it seems to me that it allows me to increase rather than decrease. The specific question is, if I am interested in roasting and experimenting 50 grams of coffee, what adjustments should I make in the profiles as well as in the software? Thank you very much for your detailed help.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Boost kit for Smaller batch size of 50 grs?

Post by kaffelogic »

The BOOST kit will allow you to select batch sizes between 50g and 200g and it makes the necessary adjustments to the profiles. You may find that some coffees do not work well at 50g and if selecting a universal minimum it might be better go for 60g.
BenN

Post by BenN »

I have tried few session of 50g batch while testing,

The volume made by 50g beans was not quite enough to fill the chamber, I think,
I found, if beans does not cover the air vent inside the chamber where hot are came in, the movement of beans is not adequate enough,
in my case beans are not moving enough and resulted in uneven roast.

I think force made by air to move beans are largely escaped at the top part where it is wide open,
It's just my opinion, and beans and roaster's setting may affect this also,

If you use new chaff corrector, don't forget to adjust fan carburation,
Ben
Bean there

Post by Bean there »

110v Kaffelogic with boost kit + glass chamber: I’ve not been able to successfully roast any bean at 50 gram batch weight. Heating stops midway into the roast, before the beans can even reach first crack (temp doesn’t go past 180-200C). And, with 60 & 70 gram batches, similar results. I’ve reconciled myself to sticking to 100 gram batches.
I did try bumping fan calibration significantly but that didn’t make much of a difference to the result… the beans are moving, but the heat shuts off too soon, well before first crack.🤷‍♀️🤔
SeanBrews

Post by SeanBrews »

What beans are you roasting with when you get these results? Also do you then get a thermal runaway error when it stops roasting?
Bean there

Post by Bean there »

What is a “thermal runaway error”? Is it the same thing as the “heat too fast, please check beans” error message?

Interestingly enough, in most trials, I don’t get any error message. The roast can continue along as if all is well, & right to the end as per profile; but there is no heating going on after it reaches around 180C or so. It never reaches first crack, and when the heating stops, and the temperature plummets to 30C, the kaffelogic will still soldier on and, in time, go into the cooling mode at an expected time for the profile. Meanwhile, the beans did not roast beyond a hint of colour/light beige.

I have tried 5 different beans (Brazil, Monsoon Malabar, Kenyan, Colombian, Ethiopian). And, I’ve tried several profiles. Also tried increasing fan calibration. No dice. I can roast at 100 grams, but not 50 or 70g.
Bean there

Post by Bean there »

Update: machine was mal-functioning & was repaired shortly after this post. 👍
Newlog

Post by Newlog »

As newbe I watched burnt beens when using 50,60g. Insufficient movement! It begins with 70g , even so little shaking may be helpful!? Temp. probe should be touched?
Bean there

Post by Bean there »

Using 80 grams of beans, so probe is covered, might be safer… it is then easier to see the fan calibration speed matches the bean weight correctly.
That said, I have gotten pretty good at adjusting fan calibration for a 50 gram weight… sometimes I have to adjust fan setting on the display (speed it up or slow it down), prior to starting the roast, but soon get familiar with which speed works best (I lean towards a not too fast/aggressive speed).