Workflow with Boost

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
Virterm

Workflow with Boost

Post by Virterm »

I am just about to try my first session with Boost and I want to confirm the workflow.
If I am using let say 60g of greens, I DO NOT modify anything in my profile, I just set 60g when prompted by the hardware, correct.?
Basically, the weight that is define in the profile will be overwritten at runtime and any variables derived from it will be adjusted accordingly?
Ron in Van

Re: Workflow with Boost

Post by Ron in Van »

Welcome to the community.
You are correct, the Nano Boost is supposed to automatically adjust to the weight you specify at the start of each batch. Some people find they need to make slight tweaks after doing test batches, but generally not by much if at all.

Make sure you have activated the Boost feature before you start or you won’t get the option to adjust to higher weights.

I am coming up to a year with my Nano and have done over 100 roasts. I mostly do 4 or 5 batches in a row of 180gm back to back without turning it off in between (as recommended by Kaffelogic). I get good results once I find the roast level I like.

I only make espresso on a Decent DE1Pro and find the Firestarter profile at around roast level 3.7 works well for my tastes. I generally blend a couple of Brazilian, Ethiopian, Guatemalan, and other beans I may have at the time. I always roast each bean separately and blend after a week or so of resting. That way I can do a test tasting of each one after a week. I like rich, well extracted, syrupy chocolate flavours. Others have different preferences and that is fine.

I do find waiting one to two weeks after roasting makes the flavours much better.

Good Luck and enjoy your new tool/hobby.
Ron
Virterm

Post by Virterm »

Thank You, Ron
Very very helpful information .
Wojtek
Virterm

Post by Virterm »

Virterm wrote: Tue 12 Dec, 2023 1:13 pm Thank You, Ron
Very very helpful information .
Wojtek
Also enjoyed the Firestarter and the Steady and Dark ii

Are you roasting all of them at 3.7?
Ron in Van

Post by Ron in Van »

Hi Virterm
I do vary the roast level a fair bit. I will go up to as much as 4.5 for some depth but usually not above 4.2 or 4.3. I also go down to 3.2 or 3.5 for a slightly brighter taste to the blends I do.

I normally roast a couple of Brazilians (Natural, Washed, or Peaberry), an Ethiopian Abyssinian Harar Moca, some Guatemala and a few others. Right now I just got some Columbian and Congo and am testing them. So I might do 4 or 5 batches at a time. Usually 180gms of each of the selected varieties, at varying levels. then I blend them to get an overall amount of 500-750gms that would normally last me one to two weeks.

Today was as exception ad I did nine roasts back to back to build some backlog for the Christmas gatherings that are looming up on us. (2xBrazil natural, 2x Brazil washed, 1 Brazil peaberry, 2x Ethiopia, 1x Columbia, 1x Congo) I ended up with 1.4Kg finished beans.

Now the hard part! Being patient and waiting for them to mature, offgas, and get to where they are drinkable, probably not for 7-10 days.

Ron
Virterm

Post by Virterm »

Thank you for all the details and explanations.
I am looking forward to some exotic blends in my morning (and not only morning) coffees
Wojtek