Kona Peaberry Roast Profile Needed

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
DavidZ

Kona Peaberry Roast Profile Needed

Post by DavidZ »

I bought some green Kona Peaberry beans from Big Island Coffee Roasters. Does anyone have a roast profile I could use or any suggestions how to modify one of the default KL roast profiles? Here what their website says about roasting their coffee.

https://bigislandcoffeeroasters.com/blo ... ona-coffee

HOW DO DIFFERENT ROAST PROFILES BEHAVE WITH GREEN HAWAIIAN AND KONA COFFEE?
As a rule of thumb, as you roast longer and darker you remove unique origin characteristics, floral notes, fruit-like acidity, and lightness in favor of body. Darker roasts lead to more bitterness, body, increased caramelization, and smokiness, while lighter roasts have brighter acidity. Note that the term acidity here is used to denote positive fruit or wine-like notes in a coffee.

Treating Hawaiian coffee in the same way as green coffee beans from other origins will often lead to grainy or sharp flavors in the cup. To avoid this, try playing with roast duration, or a lower charge temperature.
JonFairhurst

Re: Kona Peaberry Roast Profile Needed

Post by JonFairhurst »

I would probably start with the Raost Adaptive profile. It starts the roast slowly. More recently, I’ve moved to the Ninja Turtle profile, which has an aggressive start and a slow development.

I think some of my beans didn’t like the slower start of Roast Adaptive, so I switched. For a Kona bean, Ninja Turtle might be too much. In either case, you might need to scale down the temperatures, compared to the stock profiles.
DavidZ

Post by DavidZ »

Since the Kona beans were grown at 1100 feet elevation, I tried the 0-1200 Rest profile at 3.0 level. The coffee tasted over roasted. It didn't taste burnt, but Kona should be smooth and flavorful.

When I compare the 0-1200 Rest profile with the Raost Adaptive Profile in KL Studio, the Raost Adaptive Profile has a much steeper ROR. Isn't that going in the wrong direction?

I'm a newbie at this, so I may be way off base. If so, please feel free to educate me.
DavidZ

Post by DavidZ »

I'm going to try roasting with the same profile (0-1200 Rest profile at 3.0 level) and stop the roast at 20% to 25% DTR.
DavidZ

Post by DavidZ »

DavidZ wrote: Mon 17 Jul, 2023 1:05 pm I'm going to try roasting with the same profile (0-1200 Rest profile at 3.0 level) and stop the roast at 20% to 25% DTR.
This strategy worked very well. That was the 4th quarter pound I roasted and was by far the best roast. Apparently the 0-1200 Rest profile was going on for too long. First crack was at 8:30 and I stopped it at 10:30. If I didn't stop it, base on the prior roasts, it would have probably gone to 12:00 or a little longer.
JonFairhurst

Post by JonFairhurst »

You might also try the next higher elevation curve and stop the roast much sooner after FC. That last roast seems a bit long, but maybe that’s what is needed for that bean.