Exporting roast log summary

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
petermac

Exporting roast log summary

Post by petermac »

As I'm starting to generate a few roast logs now, I'd like to export the summary information provided in the roast sync folder view from Kaffelogic Studio to excel. Being able to filter roast logs based on roast profiles or beans along with my accomanying tasting notes would be really useful (although the way I record the bean is to modify the file name - why there isn't a field for this illudes me).

I'd be happy enough to copy and paste this info into excel, but while the KL Studio will let you select the data I can't seem to copy it.

Has anyone found a way to get the data out of KL Studio into software that is more useful for sorting and filtering?
Ron in Van

Re: Exporting roast log summary

Post by Ron in Van »

As a relative newcomer to roasting I had a similar wish. I have taken to transferring the data from KL Studio to a database on my Apple devices. The db software is called Tapforms and I have been using it for several years for a variety of purposes. It works quite well for my needs. have a db with each log with the information of:
-Who I bought the greens from
-What I paid for the greens
-What country is it
-The elevation, variety, and type of bean, if known
-Roast profile used
-Roast level used
-Charge weight
-Roasted weight
-It calculates cost/kg roasted weight
-FC start time and temp
-Roast end time and temp
-Tasting notes at various times post roast

However I was also wanting to take the Klog file and extract the roast log into excel to create chars from it. It would duplicate what KL Studio does, but it is a little limiting in what else you can do with the data.