I'm Amazed at What a 0.2 Change in Roast Level Does

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
DavidZ

I'm Amazed at What a 0.2 Change in Roast Level Does

Post by DavidZ »

I just got my Nano 7 a month ago. I used to roast on a Behmor about 3 or 4 years ago, but gave up becuase it was too much of an ordeal to get a good roast. I spotted the Nano 7 about 3 years ago and have been waiting for the 120 volt version ever since.

Since I'm just starting out roasting again, my strategy has been to use the offical roast profiles. I generally like my roasts a shade darker than medium. Also, I like to drink decaf. So my default roast profile is decaf with a 3.5 roast level.

I bought 3 different 1 pound bags of green beans (Columbia, Brazil and Peru) from both Roastmasters and Berman. Some of these I like, and some not so much. The Berman Columbia Las Montana tasted harsh to me. I gave it a low rating. I decided to drop the roast level from 3.5 to 3.3. WOW! This coffee went from mediocre to really nice. I'm amazed at what a small change in the roast level can do to the final product. And I haven't even started thinking about modifying the roast profile or anything else yet!