The new chaff collector has arrived! It's fantastic!

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
BenN

Re: The new chaff collector has arrived! It's fantastic!

Post by BenN »

I did replaced the top.
My roster is quite early one also black version.
The material and construction of top part was different (improved) so w=it was no question.
BTW, it was no issue fighting in well used old top.

new one had quite bit of tolerance and it had almost little loose feel.
Ben
discoaus

Post by discoaus »

javafox wrote: Mon 03 Apr, 2023 2:57 am Hi all
My new chaff collector and boost ring arrived today. I agree with other comments I’ve read - the new chimney seems wonderfully engineered. It’s weighty and much more professional looking than the original. I can’t wait to try it out and have a window into my roast :)

Question - what’s the tolerance for needing to switch the plastic collar of the roaster to the smaller circumference version provided with the upgrades as a precaution?

I can place the new chaff collector onto the unit but I need to push down gently for it to go on. It’s a tight fit (friction) but it does go on.

Is that okay, or is that indication enough to switch the parts so it sits/places on there loosely? The manual and directions provided weren’t clear what should constitute changing to the backup part.

My guess is I should change the part, but checking what others have done.
How old is your unit? If you’re having to push it down to fit over, id recommend personally to change it with the one they supply you, there’s no harm in doing this as they supply it for a reason. KL may be able to elaborate better, but I found mine wouldn’t go on without giving it a push, which I felt for me was too tight for my own liking. The newer one actually is built slightly different so it should actually function a bit nicer
javafox

Post by javafox »

Thanks all. Switched the top housing over and updated the Studio software and system firmware. Ready to roll. Fingers crossed the roasts turn out okay at larger batch sizes without profile tweaking.
mr. bean

Post by mr. bean »

Hi All, got my boost + chaff collector pack yesterday and done a reasonable amount of testing from 120-180g batches with Kenyan and Costa Rican beans.

I already run higher fan speeds on my profiles as both beans are on the denser side, but I had to ramp them even higher to ensure good movement (even with the automatic adjustment through the boost settings).

One thing I did notice however is that as the chaff collector fills up, even during one roast, it begins to restrict airflow, to the point that the beans were hardly moving during cool down. Once I lifted the lid the beans began to move freely. Obvious downside is that built up chaff flew everywhere. Not sure if there's a way around that problem...
discoaus

Post by discoaus »

mr. bean wrote: Thu 13 Apr, 2023 1:21 pm Hi All, got my boost + chaff collector pack yesterday and done a reasonable amount of testing from 120-180g batches with Kenyan and Costa Rican beans.

I already run higher fan speeds on my profiles as both beans are on the denser side, but I had to ramp them even higher to ensure good movement (even with the automatic adjustment through the boost settings).

One thing I did notice however is that as the chaff collector fills up, even during one roast, it begins to restrict airflow, to the point that the beans were hardly moving during cool down. Once I lifted the lid the beans began to move freely. Obvious downside is that built up chaff flew everywhere. Not sure if there's a way around that problem...
Have you changed your fan calibration? I believe KL have suggested changing this by about 0.6 points from default, this may helps with the rolling of the beans
lukehk

Post by lukehk »

I've had the same thing. Infact the beans completely stop moving during cool down until I lift the glass chaff collector
gpillai

Post by gpillai »

Tried the new chaff collector and boost today and had mixed results. I followed the instructions in the email to increase fan speed and roasted 160g of Brazil using S&D - the beans were filling up the top!. Switched back to the original fan speed and did a roast - the roast was ok but too many beans in the chaff collector. Tried reducing the batch size to 120g - still had beans in the chaff collector but fewer. Went back to the old chaff collector and did 110g - worked very well and allows me to do 2 runs before having to dispose the chaff. From a workflow point of view, it looks like I would go back to the old chaff collector for now! While I can't see the roast but I can do back to back roasting without having to remove beans from the chaff collector and emptying the chaff collector after each roast. Not sure how the rest of you are finding the new chaff collector.
Ron in Van

Post by Ron in Van »

I have only done four roasts with 180gm, all the rest were at 100 or 120gm. I do get more beans in the new chaff collector but they are easy to separate. The quantity in the collector varies based on bean size and density. So far I really like it.

However I have only had the Nano for a few months and never had the old version to compare to.