Is There a Decaf RTD Profile?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
DavidZ

Is There a Decaf RTD Profile?

Post by DavidZ »

There's only one official decaf roast profile, which is a resting profile. Is there a decaf RTD profile?
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Is There a Decaf RTD Profile?

Post by kaffelogic »

No, there is only the one decaf profile. We suggest you experiment with drinking straight away, and also various amounts of resting, to find what works best for your beans and brew method.
Squirt

Post by Squirt »

I now roast most of my Decaf roasts using the standard elevation profiles, including the RTD ones, and they come out great.
Justine

Post by Justine »

Same here, I only have one bag of regular beans open at a time, so only load the two profiles REST and RTD for their altitude for ease of changing the roaster. And always use that profile for the decaf as well.
DavidZ

Post by DavidZ »

Squirt wrote: Wed 19 Apr, 2023 11:11 am I now roast most of my Decaf roasts using the standard elevation profiles, including the RTD ones, and they come out great.
That's very interesting! Could you expand on your reasoning and experience? How would you compare the coffee produced using the decaf vs regular roast profiles when roasting decaf beans?
Squirt

Post by Squirt »

That was suggested on the Kaffelogic Facebook group by Wayne Burrows who designed at lot of the profiles. So I tried it and it tasted fine.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/288280599 ... tid=Nif5oz

I'm a newbie roaster so haven't got any particularly useful insights I'm afraid. So far my experience is that the greatest impact on the cup is from roast colour and, as this varies with level from profile to profile, I just pick a profile and then bracket the roast until I find the colour and taste I like from that profile.

I've also enjoyed Decaf roasted with the Adaptive profile from Ben F Leon when I want a lighter roast.
DavidZ

Post by DavidZ »

Thanks. I just applied to join the Facebook group.

What is "the Adaptive profile from Ben F Leon?"
Squirt

Post by Squirt »

DavidZ

Post by DavidZ »

Thanks again, Squirt. That's a lot of information to absorb.

I'm a newbie to the Nano 7, like you. My approach at this stage is like yours. I start with a profile and vary the roast level. Once I'm more experienced with the Nano 7, I'll try more adventurous approaches.

I was playing around in Studio and noticed something interesting. The Decaf and 1500-2000 Rest profiles appear to be identical. If you use the Compare Tool (Tools > Compare files...), you'll see that the roast curves are the same. You can't see 2 lines because the 2 lines fall right on top of each other.