Profile choice

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Profile choice

Post by kaffelogic »

Angela wrote: Wed 07 Aug, 2019 12:02 am I'm finding the Yirgacheffe has a short shelf life even stored in an Airscape container. Its flowery - almost tea like - a day after roasting and develops as floral, dark cherry with a hint of mint chocolate over 4 or 5 days much longer and it all changes into an indiscernible mix - just like the stuff most UK coffee shops sell.
Exactly. This is the reason I developed the Kaffelogic Nano 7 - to make it convenient to drink the coffee within those few days. This article contains an account of a world barista championship finalist making the same discovery https://www.beanscenemag.com.au/big-fre ... freshness/
Hugh learned about variability the hard way. Two weeks before competing at the WBC in Seoul 2017, Hugh found his shot variation to be unpredictable: one day good, the next day not.

Hugh was ranked first place after the first day of heats. After the finals, that ranking slipped to fifth place, and no-one could understand why. What Hugh later discovered was that his coffee kept ageing, and on the third day of competition the coffee had gone well over its peak window of freshness.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Hugh learned about variability the hard way. Two weeks before competing at the WBC in Seoul 2017, Hugh found his shot variation to be unpredictable: one day good, the next day not.
You know, I'm sort of shocked by the lack of a body of knowledge around coffee. It's been researched for decades; there must be thousands of roasters. Yet to know how long to store a particular coffee before drinking; which profile is best to use; what roast level has most flavour, is either an unknown or pretty restricted data.

I never expected to be such a guinea-pig in my kitchen!
BenN

Post by BenN »

I find this book quite easy to follow and I think good for beginners like me.

www.CoffeeRoastingBook.com - Coffee Roasting Made Simple by Raimond Feil

A roaster in reference is rather big drum roaster so need to translate some of aspect for our great little machine. However, it quite informative and easy reading compare to "Modulating The Flavor Profile Of Coffee by Rob Hoos" in my opinion.

I'm still in mid way but I thought worth a mention, if anyone is into reading. - No I'm no way to have any connection with author or publisher.
Ben
Angela

Post by Angela »

Thanks Ben, let us know how you get on when you've read the lot.

I had a quick look and Chapter 1's heading is 'IT’S NOT ABOUT THE NUMBERS,IT’S ABOUT THE PRINCIPLES OF NATURE' (Sorry for appearing to shout - its a cut and paste job).

The author kind of lost me right there. My current read is Graham Farmelo's "The Universe Speaks in Numbers" am I supposed to believe coffee doesn't? ;)
BenN

Post by BenN »

Read the Raimond Feil's book and I have Rob Hoos' booklet on hand.

AS a beginner, I found Raimond's book gives me a good start point to think about profile and how it could differ for filter and espresso target. Which I can apply to experiment curve and how I could finish off.
Three are some sample recipe for few bean origins but not in full picture, like end FC point and end temp. However, it is gird hint of starting to build own profile based on existing one you like,

Rob's book is more into how each section affects to the taste to me, It's also a good information but I'm not 100% sure how I can adopt to.

As most of those books are, both are based on experience of one roaster (well good one),
Overall, I thought good for my motivation to experiment more and what, but also I know thee is plenty of similar information available over internet.

Both are not academic type paper but came from more practical side.
Unfortunately, nothing is bible like and some says something in different way and one may conflict. I think,ultimately, I need to find my own way as closely watching and following others foot steps.

I guess This post is step a side from topic but Book seems to be helping me for thinking.
Ben
Angela

Post by Angela »

Angela wrote: Tue 06 Aug, 2019 10:44 pm So if the probe in the Nano 7 says 210° at first crack it really means bean temp is 196°. What does it mean for the level temperature? When I stop at an indicated 226.5° what does that really mean? Is it really 14° less? You suggest other factors - beans being exothermic is one - what else? Bean specific heat capacity surely and air-flow as already mentioned - others? [edit] Humidity too, I think [/edit]

Do industrial roasters stop for level 2.9 at an indicated 226.5° or 30° lower at 196.5°?

I had thought the level temperatures were absolutes. Am I wrong?
Still hoping to know the answer to this - any thoughts, Chris?