Studio Issues with M1 Macbook

A central page for all Kaffelogic users to make suggestions on what the want from Kaffelogic and Kaffelogic Studio.

Please also use this page for any and all training content suggestions.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Re: Studio Issues with M1 Macbook

Post by kaffelogic »

Thanks for the testing and reports from you all. We are working on the issue. We believe we have been able to replicate on an Intel Mac, so it does not appear to be an Apple Silicon issue. The issue appears to occur with varying frequency for different Mac users. For some it is an occasional irritant, for some it is a constant blocker.

Kaffelogic Studio is written in Python and uses Python wrappers to the WX library. Somewhere deep in the WX library there appears to be a non-deterministic cause of the code locking up and becoming unresponsive. This was not an issue when Studio was originally developed, but has emerged with recent OSX updates. We are struggling to isolate the problem and identify a fix. So far we have tried a number of different things, none of which have worked.

I know it is not much consolation to a Mac user, but the software works and is stable on both Windows and Linux. For those users that have one of those operating systems as an option, then that is the easiest workaround. Also if it does open successfully on your Mac, then it functions in a stable way from that point.

We will keep you posted, and appreciate any further feedback.

- Chris
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

We now have a confirmed fix. It is not possible to be certain that this is a fix for all of the reported problems, because there are multiple possible causes for an app becoming unresponsive. However, we have eliminated a replicable issue that was associated with a specific build setting causing occasional unresponsiveness on starting the app, so it is likely that the problem is fixed. I would appreciate it if affected users would download and install the latest beta version of Kaffelogic Studio for Mac and report back.
Many thanks
Chris
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

mschinis wrote: Wed 18 Jan, 2023 10:52 am Considering the m1 ultra's cpu capacity, I don't see why kaffelogic studio uses up so much of the cpu.
Kaffelogic Studio is a Python program built with wxPython. This generates a certain amount of CPU overhead. It is not out of the ordinary to see 5-10% CPU during idle, and around 20% when making an edit on an Intel chip. Unfortunately the usual speed benefits moving to Apple Silicon are not seen when using Python. Doubling of the CPU usage is not exceptional. I'm guessing that it comes down to Python using it's own threading system over the native threading system, but that is only a guess. We will see the full benefits of the Apple Silicon only when we get all of our software stack re-compiled in ARM, something that is still some way off for us.
VladP

Post by VladP »

kaffelogic wrote: Sun 22 Jan, 2023 1:17 pm We now have a confirmed fix.
I tried the beta: IT WORKS, RELIABLY! :D
THANKS a lot for the fast fix, now we can concentrate on roasts and enjoy good coffee!
PatrickSnook

Post by PatrickSnook »

My first two attempts to launch it have failed (spinning beach ball, "Loading. . ." window).

I'm using a mid-2012 MBP, with Catalina 10.15.7 running (the last update, as far as I can tell).

Before I installed this latest beta, I dragged the previous Studio app to the trash. That's all. Is there anything else I should have done to uninstall the app?

Alternatively, is my system just too old to run this?

Thanks!
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

PatrickSnook wrote: Mon 23 Jan, 2023 4:34 am My first two attempts to launch it have failed (spinning beach ball, "Loading. . ." window).

I'm using a mid-2012 MBP, with Catalina 10.15.7 running (the last update, as far as I can tell).

Before I installed this latest beta, I dragged the previous Studio app to the trash. That's all. Is there anything else I should have done to uninstall the app?

Alternatively, is my system just too old to run this?

Thanks!
There is no need to uninstall, just install the update. However, the method you used for uninstalling is nevertheless complete and will fully uninstall Kaffelogic Studio.

I have launched Studio v6.0.6 on this machine:
Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 9.27.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 9.27.33 AM.png (51.67 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
Could you check that you have downloaded and installed v6.0.6. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E14NaL ... sLTYa/view
Cheers