Overshooting Profile Curve

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
saiyr

Re: Overshooting Profile Curve

Post by saiyr »

Hi, just got my roaster and tried it out for the first time today, using the 1500–2000m rest profile. The beans seem to turn out darker than expected (tried 2.2 and 2.0) and my temp seems to not stick to the profile at the end of the roast. Other images I see on this thread seem to track the end of the curve pretty well in comparison. Any suggestions?
log0004.png
log0004.png (42.71 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
Side question, is it possible to get a Discord invite PM'd to me? I submitted a join request to the Facebook group but it's been pending for awhile, so I can't get it there.
RossWB

Post by RossWB »

If you are using the standard 1500-2000m profile I would say your preheat is a bit too high and would suggest dropping it to 1100W. Also there is a Zone Boost about the time it leaves the curve, so I would try deleting that and see how you go.
Just a matter of fine tuning. I generally use a level around 2.7 roasting for espresso and end up with a DTR about 25-28%.
Good luck, it’s a fantastic little roaster.
RossWB

Post by RossWB »

I’ve tried to join the Discord group but haven’t had much success with it, however there is quite a bit of discussion on the Kaffelogic Facebook groups.
R
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

saiyr wrote: Mon 09 Jan, 2023 12:27 pm Hi, just got my roaster and tried it out for the first time today, using the 1500–2000m rest profile. The beans seem to turn out darker than expected (tried 2.2 and 2.0) and my temp seems to not stick to the profile at the end of the roast. Other images I see on this thread seem to track the end of the curve pretty well in comparison. Any suggestions?
Hi Saiyr and wellcome to the Kl-forum!
I think your log looks very nice! The most important is the RoR-curve and it looks very nice after the first 2 minutes, the important part. You can try different "L", roast degrees, and and see what you like best tastewise. Taste is subjective!
You can also try a negative "boost" (-2 or -3) the last minutes when the beans go exothermic. You can read about how to do this in KL Studio.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

RossWB wrote: Mon 09 Jan, 2023 2:54 pm If you are using the standard 1500-2000m profile I would say your preheat is a bit too high and would suggest dropping it to 1100W. Also there is a Zone Boost about the time it leaves the curve, so I would try deleting that and see how you go.
Ross,
When I edited one of my earlier posts I said I wasn't sure which one of the roasts actually was the "best". The one with a higher preheat had a larger overshoot the first two minutes but then followed the profile better. The one with a lower preheat had less overshoot but didn't follow the profile until after about 3 minutes. For how long time does it matter that we have an overshoot and that the roast follows the RoR profile?

It's said that it's good to have a high heat in the beginning of a roast. Beans from higher altitudes and smaller beans can take that without being scorched. Bigger beans and beans from a lower altitude may not and you may need to have a lower heat in the beginning of the roast. Taste is as always the most important!