Guatemala Jacaltenango

Share your tasting notes and evaluation of the beans you have roasted, plus evaluation of the different profiles you have used.
Femelle

Guatemala Jacaltenango

Post by Femelle »

Did my first roast of this bean a couple of weeks ago, using 1500-2000 MASL (rest) @ 3.4.

I logged first crack at 206.8 at 5.54 minutes and the roast finished at 222.3 after 9.15 minutes.

My tasting notes show citrus, moderately sour, hints of cocoa. But there was a real lack in the mid-palate, the citrus/sour was very upfront, the cocoa hints came at the end, nothing much in between. I’m interested to hear what results other profiles or roast levels have given. I drank it both as espresso and latte.

The palate filled out when I added some India Elephant Hills to the mix (50/50). As a blend the EH sweetness and body filled out the Guatemalan nicely. I’ll try a different roast profile next time to see if I can find the elusive middle as a SO.
Mark

Re: Guatemala Jacaltenango

Post by Mark »

I've not tried this bean ... but I have had good results using the D-Roast profile on a variety of beans.

Cheers Mark
Femelle

Post by Femelle »

I’ve been reading about the D-Roast as I’ve trawled through other threads. It certainly sounds promising. I’ll give it a try on these beans and report back in a few weeks.
Femelle

Post by Femelle »

Well I did a D-roast @ 3.4 and got a much improved body, lively acid, a bit of cocoa. As a latte the flavours cut through the milk well, some toasted notes. I’ll try a few other levels.