Kaffelogic Modding - Clear Lid

Have you discovered a good way to do something with your Kaffelogic? Share it here.
kudoze

Kaffelogic Modding - Clear Lid

Post by kudoze »

Hi All,

I'm sure i'm not the first to think this - but I thought - wouldn't it be great if the Kaffelogic had a clear lid - especially when you're testing new profiles and/or new beans and you don't know what level to set to take it to a particular roast level that you're after.

After much thinking - I came up with using a Borosilicate Petri Dish (100mm). Turned out to be the perfect size! The reason the size and 'flatness' of the petri dish is important is so the chaff doesn't have any gaps to fit through and fly out of.

You want to get Borosilicate so it has good heat resistance (although a little more expensive, it has better heat properties than getting sodium silicate glass).

This modification is obviously not endorsed by Kaffelogic - so do it/use at your own risk.

Some images of the petri dish lid on the kaffelogic:

short video in action:
https://sendvid.com/0tz7otgr

Plus one other helper - using a really good light is important so you can see the beans properly.
It's worth investing in a really good torch.
My suggestion is something like a car detailing handheld torch so that you can change the kelvin to suit your conditions.
The "TAKE NOW" Handheld Detailing torch is what I use. It's perfect. You can change the kelvin setting to go between 2700k; 4500k; 6500k
https://www.detailstore.com.au/products ... 2965053495
Last edited by kudoze on Tue 15 Sep, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geronimo

Re: Kaffelogic Modding - Clear Lid

Post by Geronimo »

Hi

Can you check your permissions on your link of your ingenious lid in action.

I found a 100mm Petri Dish, using Borosilicate Glass 3.3, is this same as yours? Cheap as chips at $5.20 + GST and courier at $8. I guess because freight is more than Petri dish, it would be worth buying a couple, one as a spare.

Cheers
kudoze

Post by kudoze »

Hi Geronimo,

I've updated the video link - should work now.

Yes that's the one. It's super cheap, and does the job really well.
Yes I also bought 3 to have just in case i dropped one :)
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Hi again

I’m just reading the safe operating temp for the one I found is 200°C but can be pushed to 300°C under certain conditions.

If it gets scratches or any imperfections it can break in operation. Which is a concern.

Cheers
kudoze

Post by kudoze »

Definitely a "use at your own risk" thing. However borosilicate glass is a very strong glass - which is why it's used in Lab settings.
Do a search on it's properties

The original PYREX (not the US 'Pyrex') uses borosilicate glass, and can stand extreme temperatures without cracking. Also has really good thermal shock properties - can withstand fast temperature changes of up to 170°C - which means it can go from 200°C down to 30°C very quickly without fracturing.

Remember that although the roasting chamber gets up to 240°C+ the chimney and lid would probably max out at around 80°C (don't quote me on that - but i'd be surprised if it goes beyond that since i could still touch the glass lid today when i did a roast with the petri dish lid).

I contacted a bunch of plastics companies to see if they would make a clear lid - the strongest material seemed to be plexiglas which maxes out at 160°C (which i'm sure would be fine) however the cost was upwards of $150.

Again, this is not endorsed by Kaffelogic. Just a cheap and simple solution that works for me :)
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Very good points. As an aside I think there is mention of one of Universities able to supply the chimney in the same material. No idea on cost. If interested do a search within group.
nrdlnd

Post by nrdlnd »

kudoze wrote: Tue 15 Sep, 2020 4:09 pm I'm sure i'm not the first to think this - but I thought - wouldn't it be great if the Kaffelogic had a clear lid - especially when you're testing new profiles and/or new beans and you don't know what level to set to take it to a particular roast level that you're after.

After much thinking - I came up with using a Borosilicate Petri Dish (100mm). Turned out to be the perfect size! The reason the size and 'flatness' of the petri dish is important is so the chaff doesn't have any gaps to fit through and fly out of.

You want to get Borosilicate so it has good heat resistance (although a little more expensive, it has better heat properties than getting sodium silicate glass).
Thank you @kudoze!
This is ingenious! I wonder why I haven't got the same idea! :oops:
There has been some other much more complicated and more expensive solutions suggested to be able to watch the roasting process. It's important to be able to see the movement of the beans, the colour change after the drying phase and also what's happening around the 1C. I have ordered a couple of 100 mm Petri dishes with lid in borosilicate on ebay. Both dish and lid can be used I suppose.
Thank you again!
Last edited by nrdlnd on Wed 16 Sep, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

kudoze wrote: Tue 15 Sep, 2020 9:02 pm Hi Geronimo,

I've updated the video link - should work now.

Yes that's the one. It's super cheap, and does the job really well.
Yes I also bought 3 to have just in case i dropped one :)
Hi

Forgot to mention, I watched video thanks. Looks good literally. How far into the roast was this?

I think lab supplies are going to get a rush of Petri dish orders from your post.

I’ve got a couple of LED Lenser hand/head mounted torchs which are blindingly bright, which would do the job nicely for colour change monitoring. Just don’t have the temperature adjustment like yours.

Cheers
kudoze

Post by kudoze »

nrdlnd wrote: Wed 16 Sep, 2020 9:58 am I have ordered a couple of 100 mm Petri dishes with lid in borosilicate on ebay. Both dish and lid can be used I suppose.
Thank you again!
Hi nrdlnd - the lid on the dish is slightly too small. So just the dish will fit.bummer I know!
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

kudoze wrote: Wed 16 Sep, 2020 12:37 pm
nrdlnd wrote: Wed 16 Sep, 2020 9:58 am I have ordered a couple of 100 mm Petri dishes with lid in borosilicate on ebay. Both dish and lid can be used I suppose.
Thank you again!
the lid on the dish is slightly too small. So just the dish will fit.bummer I know!
I guess the 110mm would be better then able to utilise top and bottom. Ive ordered 3 100mm ones. Like you, a couple spares. Ive phoned the supplier, and yeah only the lid fits, as I got him to measure the internal dimensions.