Supply voltage may be too low - problem?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
stever

Supply voltage may be too low - problem?

Post by stever »

I ordered and received my KL-nano in Canada this week (yay!) and upon turning it on, I receive these notices on the display:
* Supply 110V may be too low..., and
* 1160W available, 1200W preferred.

I have tested the line with a meter, and it shows 120V. I've confirmed the same messages and meter voltage in 5 other receptacles. I have not run any coffee through the roaster yet.

I have already opened a service request with our Canadian retailer, but wonder if anyone here can provide guidance/insight. Is the above message an indication of a faulty unit? Another member of the Facebook group indicated they had the same message and it was benign.

Thanks in advance!
Steve
Ron in Van

Re: Supply voltage may be too low - problem?

Post by Ron in Van »

I would also not worry about it too much. The difference in available vs required is very small, ~3%. It likely won't affect the roast very much except at the start when it is likely to be applying the maximum power for that particular profile.

Some profiles need more power than others but I have never seen any ill effects on my now over 170 roasts in the last year here in Vancouver if it gave the same complaint. One thing to be aware of is preferably not to use any extension cords with the Nano, or other devices on the same circuit. Having said that I do use a short (3ft) heavy gauge cord so I can get the Nano close to the window I vent it through. It doesn't seem to cause a problem. I did at first of necessity use a longer than necessary one of lighter gauge. That did give much more frequent power insufficient warnings. They all came out OK, in my rather uneducated opinion.

Have fun with your Nano, I know I do enjoy (most of) my roasts.
stever

Post by stever »

Another member of the Fb group correctly noted that, just like the fan speed, the voltage can be recalibrated. Given that I have a volt meter (which I trust), I have recalibrated my KL Nano.

Please (KL team?) let me know if recalibrating the input voltage based upon a measured value is ill advised.
kaffelogic
Site Admin

Post by kaffelogic »

Yes, what you have done is appropriate. However, it is worth noting that it doesn't have to be super accurate: the nearest volt is plenty good enough for this particular calibration. Also it doesn't drift out of calibration so shouldn't need periodic re-calibration. Your case was likely incorrectly calibrated from the start, not a matter of it drifting out of calibration.