What Do You Do With Beans Left in the Chaff Collector Tray?

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
DavidZ

What Do You Do With Beans Left in the Chaff Collector Tray?

Post by DavidZ »

Do you throw them away or do you throw them in with the roasted batch? Does it depend on how well roasted they look? These beans (about 6 of them) look the same as the roasted batch.
Squirt

Re: What Do You Do With Beans Left in the Chaff Collector Tray?

Post by Squirt »

I include them in with the rest of my roasted beans. If I've done a large batch where I know there's a good chance there'll be beans in with the chaff, at the end of the roast I leave the glass collector on and tip the contents of the doughnut shaped chaff tray back into the chamber. With the chaff collector assembled back on top, a quick run of the "fan preview" then handily sorts the chaff back into the tray, usually leaving all the beans behind. Much easier than manual sorting!
Ron in Van

Post by Ron in Van »

Hi,
I like “Squirt”’s suggestion. I previously just picked them out and added them to the roasted ones. But I am a newbie so can’t tell the difference.

I have recently tested my Boost Booster. It works well. Only chaff in the chaff collector. Even with my worst beans for getting in the collector.

I used an old tin we had from some loose tea. It had the right diameter to fit over the Black plastic ring of the Nano. But I had it add 5.7cm in height to the start of the chimney. The Nano’s chimney and chaff collector sit on top of it. Because the tin had a screw on top lid, it was a small enough diameter that the bottom of the Chimney fit over it. It is reasonably secure there. Not as secure as with just the factory version, but good enough if you exercise due caution.

When the roast starts you can see the green beans in the lower part. As the roast progresses and they lose moisture, you see the beans coming up to about the half way point in the glass of the chimney. The chaff being so light just flies right up to the collector.

Clean up is much simpler and cleaner. I can remove the chimney, with my “Booster” still in place then upend the Nano to empty the beans into my bowl for weighing.

Something to consider.

Happy roasting
Attachments
IMG_0041.jpeg
IMG_0041.jpeg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 8291 times
rjcrutcher

Post by rjcrutcher »

I'm not happy with these extra beans in the chaff collector. I roasted 150 g of beans with the weight set to 150 g and ended up with nearly 45 g of beans in the chaff collector. These beans were much more lightly roasted than the beans in the chamber. That strikes me as odd and very much a waste of coffee beans.
JonFairhurst

Post by JonFairhurst »

I just roasted 150g of a Panama bean with zero in the collector. With an Ethiopian, I might get as many as 20. I think the solution is to use smaller batches for small, light beans.

Also, I think mine fly up during the cooling stage, so they haven’t been any lighter than the main roast. Unless I’m feeling lazy or hurried, I’ll fold them back into the main roast.