Kaffelogic roast level vs. US roast description

Tell us about your experience, ask if you're unsure of something, let us know if you have a problem.
kiwipom

Kaffelogic roast level vs. US roast description

Post by kiwipom »

Does anybody know of an accurate comparison table showing how the Kaffelogic roast levels compare to the often quoted US roast descriptions? (cinnamon - city - city+ - full city - vienna - french - italian etc.)
BenN

Re: Kaffelogic roast level vs. US roast description

Post by BenN »

following, interested to see the comparison.

I think US description is based on colour?
Where the KL level is based on often end temp (common if not changed certain profile parameter )
Ben
Barry O'Speedwagon

Post by Barry O'Speedwagon »

Yeh, it really depends on the profile being used (and the beans). For some of the profiles I use (e.g. Steve's MD3) a roast level of 3.3-3.4 looks 'Full City' to me. But 1.8 on Raost v3 is lighter....but nowhere near as much lighter as I had expected before trying it (maybe the light end of City?)
kiwipom

Post by kiwipom »

Would it be possible for opinion from kaffelogic on this question?
peleep

Post by peleep »

i have multiple times expressed to Kaffelogic that i am unable to achieve city+ or a french roast using their standard profiles, even marked up to 5.8, "dark " by their terms.

I have also asked many times why they do not also deploy a colour based roasting guide.

they have not responded to me nor comment as to why/why not they prefer to be log based.

"logs look to be as expected" is the standard response i receive when i ever i enquire.
fnq

Post by fnq »

hi peleep

Seems strange you cant get dark roasts. Given a 'normal' log with ample power, on a number of different beans anything over 5 Roast level on mine is certainly almost black with lots of oil exuded from the beans... for visual comparison on the sweet marias webite gohttps://library.sweetmarias.com/using-s ... -of-roast/
similar to number 14
Have you tried different beans ? and tried the superdark or MD profiles , or maybe dark and steady profiles

I agree with BarryOSpeedwagon above, in that different profiles and different beans produce different colour ranges .- so it makes it hard for a definitive comparison across the board.
I don't roast to those levels anymore, so can't really provide any more useful ( or otherwise)input , sorry.

I have a 220 volt machine (aus/nz spec)